Brand New Quadrafire Mt Vernon Issues. No response from store.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobokenkitchen

Jan 24, 2014
PA
I just wrote the below letter of complaint to our local Wood Heat store. This isn't normal right? I'm not ruling out user error at all, but the lack of response is very disappointing.
I'm wondering if it's an issue with the installer as I already posted here about my disappointment with our ancient Whitfield which suddenly stopped working as soon as he had reinstalled it.
We have been cleaning it regularly as thoroughly as possible, but surely dirt shouldn't be a reason for shutdown on the second night? My husband just did a thorough clean and it started up and ran for an hour before shutting down and now it won't restart. Not cool with the subfreezing temps we have right now and a toddler upstairs. ;hm

Here is the letter that somewhat describes our issue. In the meantime can you think of anything we can do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing as a follow up to our emails and conversations to document our disappointment at our purchase experience with your store.

We purchased the Quadrafire Mount Vernon E2 from you which was installed on Tuesday December 16th.
We had problems from the start with a mysterious shutdown the second night we ran it as documented in our email to Stacy 12/19/2014.

Since then we have had countless mysterious shutdowns which in subfreezing temperatures has left us in a very precarious position with regards to heating our home. Many nights at 1am we are to be found attempting to get the stove restarted after it has mysteriously shut down.

We have both emailed you and called many times about these issues and NOT ONCE have we received a call back from you.

While we have extensively read the stove directions and spent hours googling to try and work out what is wrong, we have no way of knowing if this is a fault with the stove, the installation, or user error.
Before Christmas you said you would have your tech come and look at the stove, yet this has never happened - and our calls were not returned.

This is completely unacceptable and while we have struggled through the holidays we now expect you to make this right.

We want to know that if there is a problem with this stove not just now but in the future, we will receive adequate support from you on our purchase.

Please contact us immediately to resolve these issues.

Regards,

You haven't told us much about the nature of the problem. Please describe the condition of the stove when it shuts down. I am not familiar with the E2, does it give error codes or some indication of why? What do you find in the firepot, empty or full or partially burned? Describe the installation and the flame characteristics when it is burning.

Reactions: heat seeker
It has had various issues.

Sometimes it beeps when it shuts down, sometimes it doesn't.
It has a light which flashes to indicate specific issues. It always flashes, but it indicates various different issues which never seem to be the problem.
The first shut down was a blockage in the feed tube. This has happened several times.
A couple of times the burn pot has completely filled with unburned pellets, but not often.
When it has shut down we have seen a full burn pot of unburned pellets and it makes a brrrrrrrrrrrr noise. Thats when it's blocked. Other times there will be a little ash, others a small 'cake' of ash. We pull the lever to empty the burn pot at least twice a day.

We are burning Barefoot pellets, O'Malley pellets and just finished up a batch of Energex.

Not sure what to say about the installation - is there anything specific about it you want to know? I know they cleaned both the chimneys when they installed. Not sure on many of the other details.

I'm sorry if this is not very specific. We are by no means pellet stove experts although we are having a crash course in trying to troubleshoot ourselves!

Don't Mt. Vernon's shut them selves down for a self clean? Could that be whats going on?
The MVAE does an autoclean every few hours depending on burn rate and fuel selection. It spends about 15 minues doing a shutdown and then restarts. As I said, I'm not familiar with the E2, but it is probably similar.

The MVAE does an autoclean every few hours depending on burn rate and fuel selection. It spends about 15 minues doing a shutdown and then restarts. As I said, I'm not familiar with the E2, but it is probably similar.

They told us that the E2 does not self clean. You need to pull the burn pot lever twice a day manually.

Blocked pellet chute is caused by excessively long (out of spec) pellets, and are not the fault of the stove.
A pot full of unburned pellets may be caused when the chute is blocked and the fire goes out. The blockage later collapses and the chute full of pellets empties into the firepot. Again not necessarily the fault of the stove.
A pot full of partially unburned may have been smothered by the same problem.
I believe the MVAE and the E2 are the same chute and firepot design. My MVAE has had two chute blockages in the time I have had it. On one of those occasions I found two inch long pellets in the hopper.

I have seen some longer pellets I think. I will pay more attention to which pellet brand that is happening with. I suspect the O'Malley's. However I think (?) we started with the Energex and that was when the first blockage occurred.

Maybe we'll burn exclusively Barefoots for a few days and see if we have a different experience.

What would be nice is if you could see it happen, and know more of what the issue is. If the dealer is ignoring you, it may be time for your lawyer to write them. I would tell them to either fix it, replace it, or give your money back.Maybe try and call Quadrafire themselves and see if they can put a burr under the dealers saddle. I wouldn't put up with it. kap

They were the first dealer we went to...Sooooo glad we didn't use them. We have had major issues with our new stove since Oct of 13. Dealer has always stood behind the service and repair. We are now getting a new stove from them. Just call them, stay calm and stick to your guns. Me...I would be calling 10 times a day and ask to speak to an owner.

The last person we spoke to was the owner I think. He promised to call his tech and call me back. Nothing. We called again. No response. It's some BS. : (
It could even be our own fault or something we're doing wrong, but how would we know if we never get a response?
He did try and trouble shoot with me over the phone, but none of his suggestions worked. Thats when he said he would get his tech on it.

Maybe if you show up at the store and speak to them very loudly about your issues they may decide to do something about it. Particularly if there are potential customers in the store.

Reactions: John Fortier
Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

Was this wood heat in Quakertown? They aren't exactly known for their reputation.

If you do return your stove, between family members we have purchased 6 stoves from KC stoves and fireplaces in alburtis. Good honest people and service.

Status
Not open for further replies.