breaking in a new chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Any advise ? Dealers said dont hold back full throttle it ? But I thought there would be some break in time and procedure ?
Got a new MS 460 w/ 28 inch bar.

The only break-in we've done was to go out and cut. But you might want to read the manual and see what it says, then just use your own good judgment.

Congratulations on the new saw too. It should be a winner.

kwikrp said:
Any advise ? Dealers said dont hold back full throttle it ? But I thought there would be some break in time and procedure ?
Got a new MS 460 w/ 28 inch bar.

bad @ss saw, and just dont run it wot out of the cut! in the cut wot is fine.

Run the saw like you stole it.

LLigetfa said:
Run the saw like you stole it.

rings will not seat right if you run it hard out of the cut on the 460 after 5 tanks of fuel it on!

Why on earth would anyone run it hard WOT out of the cut anyway? WOT in the cut is the only way to go. Better to rev it than torque it.

LLigetfa said:
Why on earth would anyone run it hard WOT out of the cut anyway? WOT in the cut is the only way to go. Better to rev it than torque it.

lol just making sure, there are some who would just keep trottle up out of the cut makes them look cool I guess.

The sound of a saw screaming under no load is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Now hearing that burble smooth out in a cut is like music... almost like the four barrels kicking in on the power curve and slamming you into the back of the seat.

LLigetfa said:
The sound of a saw screaming under no load is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Now hearing that burble smooth out in a cut is like music... almost like the four barrels kicking in on the power curve and slamming you into the back of the seat.

I am with you on that!

Straight from your manual, Page 38.

" A factory new machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle load) for the first three tank fillings. This avoids unnecessary high loads during the break in period. As all moving parts have to bed in during the break in period, the frictional resistances in the engine are greater during this period. The engine develops its maximum power after 5 to 15 tank fillings."

The manual and my husky dealer said the same thing when I picked up my 372xp. I stuck to logs under 6" in diameter, and didnt load it up real hard. It makes sense to me. You wouldnt buy a nice car and then beat the crap out of it on the way home from the dealer would you?

I have a special pile of break in wood at my place, I would let you break in your new saw for free. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.