breaking in new stove issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nu2wood

Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2009
Poconos, PA
I just broke in my new Jotul 118 stove last week and today I fired it up nice and hot (hottest temp was 550+). I have been burning it all day and just noticed some white stuff between the seams, pretty prominent. Also I have some flaking of the black paint all of a sudden above the door exposing the bare metal. Did I screw up my stove and not break it in properly? I followed the procedure exactly but over the course of 3 days. Never had these issues breaking in my Oslo.

The white stuff at the seams is their stove cement. If the paint is flaking on the exterior front it sounds like it might be bad metal prep before painting.