Breckwell big E and thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Have not had a chance to get my manual out and look this up yet. Im thinking of installing a thermostat just for the ease of programing it to turn on in the morning before we get up... Thing im wondering is if the settings on the stove are programable. I never run the stove on 4 or 5 so im wondering if i can change the settings of the stove to use 3 when the stat is calling for heat... Im thinking of using the on/off setting and just setting the stat to a heat level we will never see in the house and adjust it manually to my desired heat level during use... Im thinking with the stat the stove will use the last heat setting that was in use when it calls for heat just like it does when we manually urn it on?

Reactions: Ssyko
Yes,according to your manual.As a matter of fact,it states do not set heat above #3 when using on/off mode.Other stoves use that control panel,and it seems to work fine with a t/stat.

Reactions: Ssyko
get your fire burning good at #3 and set to high/low and let it run. it will go to #1 when tstat is satisfied.

Always run mine on a remote T'stat. Not a 'Big E' but the principle is the same. Whatever heat range I'm running at, when the T'stat is satisfied, the unit returns to the lowest setting, however, with mine and running on corn, I have to increase the feed rate (PPH) a bit or it will go out and mine is manual light, it's 15+ years old.

Corn is different than pellets. Corn requires a hotter burn to stay burning. Corn is also much dirtier and produces a lot of ash, both fly and heavy so I have to clean the stove at least every week, sometimes more. depending on how hard it's running. In my case, corn is dirt cheap (I grow it) so it's a frugal fuel for me and I'm cheap anyway.

get your fire burning good at #3 and set to high/low and let it run. it will go to #1 when tstat is satisfied.
Reason I want to use the on off feature is then I can program it to come on at a certain time.. if I use the high low it will not shut off and turn back on in the morning. I don't run the stove when I'm sleeping or away.. I like a cool house when I'm sleeping...lol.. I'll just set the temp high enough that it will not shut off while we are home and we can just manually turn it to 1 or 2...

Not going to work bud. Like most stoves breckwell needs a physical push of the button to go into start up. Unless you can make an auto start circuit and incorporate it to your board

The problem with doing that is your damper will never be set right on one of the settings. You will have to set it for 1 or set it for 3, so your pot will either get really full on high or blow out empty on 1. At least, that’s been my experience. Breckwell’s work best when run constantly on 1- 3 with the damper set accordingly.

Well crap their goes that idea......

I run the damper the same for 1-3 burns good and hot... if I move it anymore I have a blowtorch

i was just reading through the manual and if im reading this right in ON/OFF mode the stove will restart when heat is called for?
ON/OFF THERMOSTAT MODE  USE THIS MODE ONLY IF YOU CONNECT A THERMOSTAT  In this mode when the home is warm enough the stove will shut off. The fans will continue to run until the stove cools.  When the home cools below the thermostat setting, the stove will automatically restart and run at the last feed rate setting.

Yes it will do that. Only under that setting

Ok then it will work the way i want... set the thermostat to turn stove on in the morning before we wake up. Set the thermostat temp high enough that it will never reach that temp and i can adjust during the day by the stove control panel and then have the stove shut down at night, repeat the next day..

Ok then it will work the way i want... set the thermostat to turn stove on in the morning before we wake up. Set the thermostat temp high enough that it will never reach that temp and i can adjust during the day by the stove control panel and then have the stove shut down at night, repeat the next day..
Prepare to replace your igniter often. Those hot rod igniters weren’t built for cycling

It will operate the same way I run it now but will be automatic. Turning on 2x per day for 4 years now on the same ignitor.. I can live with that

Gotcha, so your using the thermostat more like a timer. Where people run into trouble on those igniters is when they are starting up 6-10 times in a day.

i was just reading through the manual and if im reading this right in ON/OFF mode the stove will restart when heat is called for?
ON/OFF THERMOSTAT MODE  USE THIS MODE ONLY IF YOU CONNECT A THERMOSTAT  In this mode when the home is warm enough the stove will shut off. The fans will continue to run until the stove cools.  When the home cools below the thermostat setting, the stove will automatically restart and run at the last feed rate setting.
My stove has this same mode, which the manual calls "On/Off," plus another thermostat mode called "High/Low." The difference is that the former shuts off the stove when the thermostat registers the desired temperature, wheras in the latter mode, the fire drops to a low burn, but the stove never shuts off. My stove also has a third mode, called "Manual," where you turn on the stove, set it at the desired heat level, and it stays on at that level until the level is changed or the stove is turned off (or runs out of pellets :) ). According to the manual the first two modes require that a thermostat be wired to the stove, but the third mode requires that no thermostat be attached. If your stove also has a manual mode, you might not need to bother with a thermostat at all.

My stove has this same mode, which the manual calls "On/Off," plus another thermostat mode called "High/Low." The difference is that the former shuts off the stove when the thermostat registers the desired temperature, wheras in the latter mode, the fire drops to a low burn, but the stove never shuts off. My stove also has a third mode, called "Manual," where you turn on the stove, set it at the desired heat level, and it stays on at that level until the level is changed or the stove is turned off (or runs out of pellets :) ). According to the manual the first two modes require that a thermostat be wired to the stove, but the third mode requires that no thermostat be attached. If your stove also has a manual mode, you might not need to bother with a thermostat at all.
You sorta missed what im trying to do. I already run the stove in manual and want to set it up with a programable thermostat so it turns on before i wake up or get home for the day... I just want to use the on/off feature and keep the thermostat high enough that it does not shut off until i tell it to do so

Ah. I guess I don't understand at all what you are trying to achieve.

CY he wants his stove off all nite till an hour before he gets up. Using the programming in the thermostat

Last edited: