Breckwell Big E convection fan acting weird!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryG

Jan 1, 2008
NY
Sounds like a few knowledegable in here. I hope you can help me!

I have the Breckwell Big E (big window), I just finally after 2 years, cleaned it completely. Now when we go to set the convection fan to the high setting, it doesn't go. In fact sometimes it sounds like the fan isn't even going. I say sometimes, because it acts like it runs on high fan when it wants to. I use to be able to go to high fan or back to auto anytime. Now it cycles up and down from high to low by itself. Only once in a while when I push the hi fan button, does it react to the "hi" setting. What could I have done? Or what could be wrong?

Wow two years of not cleaning is not good , but you probably already know that. Did you clean the blades of the convection blower ? They collect a lot of ash on them and you need to scrape or brush off the ash. You can take off the panel that has the control panel on it and see the convection blower, to see if it is running or not running . I clean my combustion chamber every week . And I clean the whole stove every month [ VACUUM EXHAUST PIPE AND BLOWER, SCRAPE AND BRUSH AND VACUUM CONVECTION BLOWER, CLEAN BEHIND COMBUSTION CHAMBER -- THE TWO LITTLE DOOR ON THE BACK WALL OF THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. VACUUM OFF BLOWER MOTORS AND GENERALLY VACUUM ALL DUST.] I think cleaning the blades could help you , but if you haven't been cleaning it for two years the motor my be toast.

I realized now that not cleaning the stove was a mistake, but it's something that we've never had before and didn't realize the cleaning was so important. Lesson learned.

I do know that the convection blower is running intermittently and I did clean the convection blower blades well. Also, the squirrel cage wheel does rotate freely by hand. Additionally, I can feel the breeze from the convection blower when it does come on.

My main problem is, I can't go to high fan on command. I may have inadvertently hit something critical when I was cleaning it, not realizing it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.