Breckwell Big-E Room-Air Fan Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prinefan

Dec 3, 2005
Western Massachusetts
Good Morning All,

Recently the room-air fan on my Big-E turns on and off pretty much when it feels like it. There seems to be no pattern except that when I shut the stove down through my thermostat (the stove is set at 3 and in on-off mode), after I realize that the fan decided to stop working, the fan does turn on half way through the shut down cycle.
On start-up, sometimes the fan comes on really loud then eventually it will just stop running after start up mode has completed. Very strange!!!

Any help would be very-much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey
Sounds like the fan is going.
1.) Is the stove still under warranty?
2.) Have you called your dealer where you got the stove?
3.) Have you removed the blower and really cleaned it?
4.) Are the connections still together? or is there damage to the wires
5.) You can bench tested the blower?

Eric
330-876-0200

It is not under warranty. I have had it for a few years now with zero problems except having to replace the hot rod ignitor, but that goes with running it on the thermostat in on/off mode. My initial thought was the motor was going but it works and spins freely, but it only does it when it wants to now. I did checked the wires on the fan and I clean the stove obsessively. I wonder if it could be the snapdisk on its way out. I think I am going to make a visit to my local stove shop and pick a brain or two. Thanks for the advise.

Regards,

Mark

Take an extension cord apart by removing the female side. Attach alligator clips to the wires. plug the cord into the wall and hook the clips to the blower (after you disconnect the wires) This is a way to check the fan. Listen to it run and see what happens.

Snap disks do not go bad that often. My bet is the blower or the control board. Wanna bet?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.