Breckwell Big E stuck on High Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentdog007

Oct 19, 2009
Central NY
I have a Breckwell Big E home heater ( I think it is a 2006 or so w/o the clean out ash drawer) that I have used for two seasons. Last Spring, I started the stove up and as soon as it self ignited and heated up a bit, the fan came on as it should but on the high setting, similar to when you turn the stove off for anyone familar with the model. The stove will continue to feed pellets when running on high fan but as per the warning in the manual I fear the motor will burn out if I run it like this too much.

I called tech support in the spring, they made me make sure the thermostat switch was in the right spot, and the high fan button is not a switch so after unplugging the stove this sould have been reset. I have since disconnected the thermostat all together but I hadn't been using it and the switch was in the right spot.

Oddly enough, the stove started working again after I checked everything, and it worked the next few times I used it. Now I am in need of it regularly and it is back to the high fan business. Any thoughts? I think it is a circuit board issue, but am just guessing...maybe like a safety setting (even though it doesn't stop feeding the pellets/fire) Thanks.

Circuit board should be fine. It is getting fooled by a defective proof of fire switch. Sometimes this snap disc starts to fall apart. Bad crimp to hold them together. If you push on the switch it will work for a little bit. But will end up back to the same. Switch is located on exhaust blower-Combustion blower housing.

Part# C-E-090-22C

To test it.

Unplug stove.

Disconnect one wire to the proof of fire switch.(I think yours is stuck closed this will open the switch.)

Plug stove back in and start. Convection fan will be off and stove will go thru a start up cycle. It will load pellets and start fire. Auger will stop and stove will wait to see the switch. But it won't and the it will shut down. As long as the convection fan stays off that is the issue. If the fan stays on high try to turn it to low on panel. should go to off.

jay

So if I disconnect the switch, the stove should turn off once it ignites ? That is almost what seems to happen now. Can I run the stove wothout the POF switch or does it need the switch to run the auger during heating? Or would I need a new POF switch?

I am desperate and will try anything, I will look at this switch and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

I though you said fan was staying on high.

POF stuck open. Stove will start but shut off in about 10 minutes. Circuit board doesn't see the heat in exhaust and shuts down. Convection fan doesn't run at all unless in manual high speed.

POF stuck closed. Stove starts fan stays on high. Stove will run normal. But if the fire goes out it will continue to feed pellets until the hopper is empty. Circuit board see heat in exhaust to soon. Fools board to throw convection fan on high speed.

Best to just get a new switch ASAP. Switch must close in a time window for control circuit to act properly.

jay

Yes, the latter is what is happening; I misunderstood you one message thinking that the stove would go out if the switch was stuck closed.

I was confused because my stove ignites, turns on and stays on high and continues to feed pellets/run. our last response gives me a new ray of hope - thank you.

Any ideas on where to get a reasonable priced POF switch? I will poke arounf the net. I will try the switch test tonight and let you all know.

[email protected]

Email Eric, He has been reasonable to the forum members. Tell him we sent you!

You can use a common toggle switch to get the stove running in a temp situation.

Get a 15 amp toggle switch. Put 2 wire leads on with spade connectors. Always unplug the stove when working on it. By pass the POF switch with toggle. Replug in stove. With toggle on off position. start stove as normal. Let stove run for about 7 minutes. Turn on the toggle. Stove will act like it is supposed to. Just don't try to restart with out using the steps above. Stove can run only as a temp setup.

Again best to just get the proper switch.
jay

My Breckwells did the same thing P2000FS and Big-E purchased within one month of each other, Jan 2008. Both had bad control boards and Breckwell replaced. Seems as though Breckwell had a batch of bad boards around the time both stoves were manufactured.

My snap disk on the exhaust fan went bad and it would not let the fan go to high . Eric had me by pass the switch with a piece of wire between the two connectors. That worked , so we knew the disk was bad, he sent me a new one [$ 12.00 ] , and my stove has ran fine so far this year.

So heres the first update:

I read the suggested posts first, and tapped on the thermodisc gently with the back of a small screwdriver.

I fired up the stove and it now works; hopefully this means it was htis pesky snapdisc. What do you all think, does this match up with your suspicions?

I have found a replacement for a fair price, anyone know where I gonna might find help on the install? I will search the forum too.

Stove is up an running now...now I just need to get pellets!!!

I will continue the effort, I figure this is just a fix by chance and that I need to replace the part. thanks.

Fix is easy.

Unplug the stove 1st!

Remove left rear panel. On the blower housing you see the disc. There is 2 wires to remove and 2 screws to remove. Wiggle the switch and it will come off.

Place the new switch and install 2 screws. Then the 2 wires. Replace panel and plug it in.

Good to go.

buildingmaint said Eric only charged him $12.00 for the switch. That sounds pretty cheap. Most local dealers will charge you list.

This place want $43 plus

http://woodheatstoves.com/thermodisc-60t22-low-limit-p-9728.html

I'd go with Eric!

jay

All I can say is WOW $ 43.00 BUCKS , now thats a BIG MARK UP . Breckwell has them on their site for $ 14.00.

A person is always better than a company's website, breckwell might have the part for $14, but I'd bet you they'll also charge you $12+ in shipping for a part that would ship in a small padded envelope for $2. Sorry, I am getting bitter. Thanks for the help everyone, I am ready to swap out the switch.

Well thanks everyone. I got a new POF switch and the stove worked great. Odd, beacuse the switch test everyone talked about didn't really seem to be as helpful as it sounded, but I figured for a $11 part whats the harm. New switch in and it works...I'm not looking back:)

Now if I only had that $700 worth of pellets I paid for in JULY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.