Breckwell SP24i - Auger Screw Shaft Broke & Flared Removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Installed this SP24i about a year ago and a few weeks ago the auger motor just fell off (this model doesn't use screws on the motor, uses a clip). It was caused by pellet dust getting jammed up in the auger screw.

The result is part of the screw shaft (about 1/2" of the rod) was stuck on the motor and the rest of the rod is still in the stove. The way it broke off has left the end of the rod shaft flared so that I can't remove the brass washer? thing nor the internal locking star washer? I successfully got the remains off the motor but how do I remove the screw to replace it?

These are pictures of our Breckwell SP24i with the broken auger shaft screw and the bushings & internal star lock washer that I am unable to remove.

Breckwell-SP24i-01.jpg Breckwell-SP24i-02.jpg Breckwell-SP24i-03.jpg Breckwell-SP24i-04.jpg

The easiest way to remove that star lock is to bend it out and cut it off
then if it holds the bushing in the whole auger assy will slide out
A good pair of angled side cutters and a twisting motion will snap the star lock

gezz wonder what was in their for a shear pin? By design it is to shear off the pin and save the auger..

gezz wonder what was in their for a shear pin? By design it is to shear off the pin and save the auger..
I believe it is a hair pin clip

ya thats what they are i keep a bag of em handy and usually just go buy the cheap ones from the local hardware store that will shear easily if needed. Someone must have put something else in that was stronger than the auger shaft when i got my stove someone had used a nail...