Briggs 8hp backfires thru carb ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Briggs 8hp engine will not start.
It backfires thru the carb.
I've taken the head of and cleaned it well, valves looked great no sticking
Do you think it could be the flywheel key?
I'm doing a carb overhaul since it's down.
Thanks

Either the intake valve isn't seating properly or the timing could be off. I have seen many a small engines out of time due to a bad/damaged key.

Reactions: Jazzberry
How did it get to the 'no start' condition? If it is some piece of equipment which came to an abrupt stop / lock-up, then it's likely the flywheel key sheared. If it started slowly deteriorating, then I'd look more toward the intake valve, broken valve spring, failing keeper, etc.

It was the flywheel key !
All back together .. started first pull ... Boy I didn't think it was running that bad.. cuts better @ slower engine speed.. ==c

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It was the flywheel key !
All back together .. started first pull ... Boy I didn't think it was running that bad.. cuts better @ slower engine speed.. ==c
I reckon the nut loosens or was never properly torqued. Sometimes a single backfire will cause key damage.