Broken hinge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bugs

Aug 30, 2017
Portland Oregon
picked up an advantage II-t seller said exhaust fan kept shutting off. Well paid 50.00 dollars for the stove so I figured it would be worth tearing down and cleaning. Wow pulled the brick off and it was stuffed full...cleaned thoroughly oiled fans plugged it in and everything seems good. Just one problem to solve. Broken hinge eye bolt, no longer available.
Anyone have one lying around?
Thinking about having one made.
20170828_163434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be a generic part - try places like Grainger's.

Reactions: bags
Thanks heat sinker
I've tried several bolt and fastener locations granger did come the closest the one they have may have to do, little cutting and threading may work. Still have to get the broken piece out.
Thanks for your help.
Bugs

You're welcome - good luck! Please keep us posted.

20170828_093713_resized.jpg 20170828_093704_resized.jpg 20170828_093657_resized.jpg 20170828_093651_resized.jpg 20170902_145656_resized.jpg 20170902_145644_resized.jpg 20170902_145641_resized.jpg 20170902_145633_resized.jpg 20170828_093742_resized.jpg 20170828_093727_resized.jpg Well, gave up, pulled out the welder. May not be pretty but it works . I know how forums love photos, so here is what we have even the one side before I vacuumed it out.

Attachments

• 20170828_093710_001_resized.jpg
    20170828_093710_001_resized.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: vinny11950
Broken hinge eye bolt,
Sorry ... thought you were just looking for the bolt. Have to slow down in reading the post;em

Looks like you are getting there on the clean-up. Just ensure you have a good seal on the door and CO detector installed.

Love to hear stoves rescued from bad owners! Like dogs rescued from bad owners...

picked up an advantage II-t seller said exhaust fan kept shutting off. Well paid 50.00 dollars for the stove so I figured it would be worth tearing down and cleaning. Wow pulled the brick off and it was stuffed full...cleaned thoroughly oiled fans plugged it in and everything seems good. Just one problem to solve. Broken hinge eye bolt, no longer available.
View attachment 199622
I know these guys personally, they are great and have a ton of Whitfield parts. The main thing is that they have been around for a while, over 10 years I think, and will probably be able to tell you where to get the part you need. The whitfield parts page is here: This is their Whitfield pellet stove parts page. Please tell them Robert Long sent you. They are very friendly and also know a ton of stuff about stoves. Let me know how it works out.

...and after you search Graingers website you will want to stick a hot poker in your eye and get the last 20mins of your life back. Their search engine is just the worst I have ever seen.

Start with McMaster-Carr. They can get you places with hardware you didn't know you could go.

That bolt is a "partial thread (shoulder) rod end bolt.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#eyebolts/=1b9llqj
6066k16p1-d03c-digitals.png

Reactions: Harmanizer
IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG
Wow I'm looking for exactly the same eye bolt for my Whitfield WP2. Stove came with our new house and was just about to light it up for the third time when the door fell off. Did anyone ever find the exact right part? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 199622
These guys have that https://www.mcmaster.com/#eyebolts/=1bn6mnv

Doubt anyone might end up having this same issue anymore as this stove model is pretty old at this point. HOWEVER, I did manage to figure out the exact bolt type for the older Whitfield Advantage stoves that do not have the hinge plate. For anyone with the problem described by OP, here's the specs on the door hinge bolts:
  • 3/8-16 "Swing Bolt" (could also be called a "Jig bolt" or "Latch bolt")
  • roughly 2" length (a bit flexible as the coupling nut would allow bolt to go all the way through)
  • 3/8 hole diameter, slip fit
  • OEM bolt has a head of 3/8" thick, ones for sale I've found have 1/2" head thickness which would mean both bolts would need to be replaced
  • I was able to find a 303 stainless option. I've seen grades 4140 and 1045 available also
Link to MSC Direct website for the stainless bolts I purchased

For the coupling nut, it is a 3/8-16, 1-1/8 length coupling nut with 1/2 diameter between flats.
Link to MSC Direct for stainless steel coupling nut

For my repair, I had to drill out the broken Swing Bolt and I will cut the coupling nut off the stove. I then plan to weld the new coupling nut on. I'll replace both top and bottom swing bolts with new ones and use a bit of anti-seize compound to try and prevent it from freezing up again and having the same issue later!

Hope this helps out the next person who might end up with this same problem!

Reactions: Washed-Up