Brook Trout Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I took a little guy fishing back in the brook today and he nails this in about our third splot, not bad for a six year old. It was a good fight for him and after a bit he had this in the air saying grab it and grab it I did.

Looks like we'll put in more hours fishing tomorrow, skeeters are real bad.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3066-1.jpg
    100_3066-1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 436
  • 100_3072-2.jpg
    100_3072-2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 460
Nice fish! It is always fun fishing with the kids. Trout season has been open for 2 months, and I have yet to throw a hook in the water. It has bee a strange spring with all the rain and high rivers.

Ncountry said:
Nice fish! It is always fun fishing with the kids. Trout season has been open for 2 months, and I have yet to throw a hook in the water. It has bee a strange spring with all the rain and high rivers.

NCountry, he told me I have to fish tomorrow so I'm not sure if he thinks we will catch more fish or he just wants to show me up. :mad:

Zap

Sweet fish! bet he tasted good! have only got out twice so far this yr - but lucky enough to brin g my 8 yr old one time - but we only caught chubbs......bummer.

Beautiful stream brown. I bet that kid was excited! Were ya driftin worms or casting spinners?

nice fish! must've been great watching him catch it!

some fishing rules:

always hold the fish closer to the camera when taking pics! (makes 'em appear larger)
never bring along a partner that outfishes you
"early to bed, early to rise; fish like hell and make up lies"
if you use bait, buy only the guaranteed version....guaranteed to catch fish or die trying!

Franks said:
Beautiful stream brown. I bet that kid was excited! Were ya driftin worms or casting spinners?

Driftin worms in a shallow section of the brook. Looks like we will be going back in today for about three or four hours.

Zap

f3cbboy said:
Sweet fish! bet he tasted good! have only got out twice so far this yr - but lucky enough to brin g my 8 yr old one time - but we only caught chubbs......bummer.

The catcher wanted to freeze the fish so his dad could cook it so thats what we did. Looks like we will be fishing up to Sunday when he has a lacrosse game.

Zap

Excellent! You know the old punny cliche about taking a kid fishing- first one they catch and they are hooked. What a fish for anyone- never mind a kid!

It truly is life changing to get interested in outdoors stuff early.

Nice catch! That fish looks more like a brookie (brook trout) than a brown to me. Or possibly a brookie/brown hybrid. Its body has the markings of a brookie for sure, but that dorsal fin looks more like that of a brown. Its other fins look like they have the coloring of a brown, but with the white leading edges of a brookie

Btw- you guys should be fly fishing for those trout! Over here in Mt it's almost a sin to fish for trout using worms (or anything other than a fly rod), but then again, Mt is pretty much the center of the fly fishing universe ;)

Zap, get one of those ThermaCells and the skeeters won't bother plus you don't have to rub or spray that stuff all over yourself.

Mt Ski Bum said:
Nice catch! That fish looks more like a brookie (brook trout) than a brown to me. Or possibly a brookie/brown hybrid. Its body has the markings of a brookie for sure, but that dorsal fin looks more like that of a brown. Its other fins look like they have the coloring of a brown, but with the white leading edges of a brookie

Btw- you guys should be fly fishing for those trout! Over here in Mt it's almost a sin to fish for trout using worms (or anything other than a fly rod), but then again, Mt is pretty much the center of the fly fishing universe ;)

the streams/rivers around here are surrounded by trees and brush-that equals a lot of snags. a lot easier to fly fish where the spaces are open more... (and the worms are easy to get)

Definately anice fish! But I agree with MT SKI Bum, its a brook trout. Green back behind spots, black mouth and white on lower fins are dead give aways...My son does alot of fly fishing and I showed him the picture to be sure as i had never seen a brown trout that green. Stilla sweet fish! TO BE PROUD OF...

Mt Ski Bum said:

His father thought it was a brook trout also but the tail looks like a brown. I've never fly fished and will likely just fish walleye but after cleaning the fish and inspecting what was in the brooks stomach (all bugs) I agree with you.

Zap

loon said:
thats a beauty for sure zap :) very nice fish for the young lad to catch ;-)

loon

I could fish the rest of the year and never come up with one that size, he was a happy. We went back to the honey hole today and the master of the brook pulled this out, I'm still scratching my head.

We fished another three hours today.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3078.jpg
    100_3078.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 290
Very nice. Sometimes the young ones outshine the older simply because they follow their instinct and fish while those of us with "wisdom" know better.....

fv

loon said:
hope the "master" see's himself on the net zap :p

loon

Loon I think we will send his parents the link on Monday night. Heading down to the local bait store in the morning and look for some mepps,bluefox and some flatfish lures and give them a try.

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, get one of those ThermaCells and the skeeters won't bother plus you don't have to rub or spray that stuff all over yourself.

Whats a thermacell??? I gotta go google

Status
Not open for further replies.