Buck 21 burn me out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokymtn

Jan 9, 2014
east tn
I am building a small 560 sq ft cabin. It consists of a open kitchen/ dining room with living room. This area will be 20x20 and all open. Then a bedroom and bath partitioned off. Also a small mud room. The entire cabin is 20x28. It will be well insulated and tight. Ceilings will start at eight feet and cathedral up. Is a buck 21 to much stove? I looked at " the hobbit ", but seems too small. Ideas?

It will probably work fine, there is a chance it could be a little too warn though. It really depends on the climate, where is this small cabin? Northern maine is going to be alot different than East Tennessee. i think you would be fine though, however having to cut to 12in would drive me insanr and i would buy a different stove just on that alone. With excellent insulation i would strongly consider a cat stove capable of a nice long slow low heat burn.

It will be in southeast tn. Which to me is cold winters. The split length doesn't bother me. It is longer east to west vs north to south

In a small cabin you might want to consider the Buck 20 cat stove. It should burn low and slow better than the 21.

So this is going to be a full-time residence? As begreen just said, a cat stove would be more controllable in a smaller space. It will burn longer, in case you have to be away at work. Tube stoves tend to give a blast of heat early, then drop off, and small ones won't burn long, maybe 4 or 5 hrs. The cathedral ceiling will disperse some of the heat, but that is still a pretty small space. If you're home a lot, you could always open a window. ;lol I would think SE TN would be pretty warm, unless you are at elevation. My nephew is in Memphis right now...when I look at the weather, seems like at always 5* warmer than here...pretty mild most of the time.

If not the Buck 20, in non-cat in a small space, I would recommend a cast-iron jacketed steel stove or a soapstone stove. The area is too small for a strongly radiant stove. The mass of the cast-iron jacket or soapstone will soften the heat considerably and then slowly release the heat as the fire dies down. For this reason I would suggest also considering a soapstone Woodstock Keystone or cast iron VC Intrepid II (cat). Or in non-cat a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4, Quadrafire Yosemite or an Enviro Boston 1200.

What's your budget? How soon will you need the stove?

I don't have a budget, i just want to stay realistic. And wont need it until next winter. If i had to pick out something other than above mentioned in brand. And had to be a cat stove it would be bk sirocco 20. I like the looks of the squared off black matte box stoves.

The soapstones are ugly to me and since i will spend a great deal of time infront of whatever i choose, i want to get it right the first time. Also not over heat the cabin.

I did not mention when complete it will be full living residence. Kids are getting older and we want to down size before they multiply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.