Buck Model 81 - cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodedacres_PA

Nov 19, 2022
SWPA
Hello,

First season with the model 81 with stainless steel liner with insulation in our masonry chimney and looking at some advice from professionals. It was 72° here today and going to be slightly warmer this week. Hoping to take the baffle boards out and clean the stainless Steel liner. Does this look like normal stove after 24/7 burning since October/November?

I can post more pictures of the chimney liner tomorrow or this weekend. I know I do have a chimney cap and it doesn’t look clogged or creosote built up from the ground but not quite sure what to look for.

Video 3 is the air intake at the front of the stove.

Last edited:
Hello, I have this same stove on legs. Where are the air inlets again? Mine seems to turn hardwood into coal withe the damper closed, halfway, or wide open. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello, I have this same stove on legs. Where are the air inlets again? Mine seems to turn hardwood into coal withe the damper closed, halfway, or wide open. Anyone have any suggestions?
This is often a sign of wood that is not fully seasoned. Try adding some dry 2x4 cutoffs to the fire to see if it burns better.