Building bump out for wood stove clearances question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RISurfer

Dec 10, 2021
RI
I plan on building a bump out off a small cabin to install a cheap us stove defender model. 1200 sq foot. Clearance to combustibles for the back back: 17” sides: 21”

So basically the bump out would have to be 8’ tall, 6’ wide and 4’ deep.

My question is if I install metal heat shield on the back and sides with the 1” gap for air flow, can I allow the stove to be installed 12” clearance to the back and sides of the stove? Is this adequate for single wall stove pipe?

This would allow me to build a smaller bump out.

Thanks for the help.

I plan on building a bump out off a small cabin to install a cheap us stove defender model. 1200 sq foot. Clearance to combustibles for the back back: 17” sides: 21”

My question is if I install metal heat shield on the back and sides with the 1” gap for air flow, can I allow the stove to be installed 12” clearance to the back and sides of the stove? Is this adequate for single wall stove pipe?

Thanks for the help.
That is a question for the stove manufacturer

Thanks for the help.
It would probably be considered an alcove. Manual should clearly state alcove clearances and if they can be reduced.

Thank you for the reply’s.

The stove manufacturer advised me to contact my local building inspector.

The stove manual only states the combustible clearances. It does not mention using materials to reduce clearances.