burn pot level to high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northeast bob

Nov 21, 2013
North East MA.
I have Summers 55-SHPEP and I have been burning Green Supremes and got tired of the heavy ash and low heat. I finished my ton and have been trying Logik and they are incredible no ash, clean glass and good heat. The fire is very even and I can see into the burn pot while burning and the fuel in the burn pot appears to be building up faster than need to maintain the fire

Do I need to call Englander an change the factory setting, or is the level in the burn pot normal ?

Thanks
upload_2013-12-29_14-21-20.png

What are your bottom 3 numbers set at? Also, when did you last do a FULL cleaning of the stove? Pull blowers, clean the vent, etc........

This is my first season with my first stove. I clean the stove really well weekly, and this weekend I cleaned the chimney. I have never cleaned the blower yet.
The stove runs really well, it looks like it is feeding to fast for this pellet.

I have no idea how to check or change the bottom numbers. They are still set at factory settings

Thanks

You need MORE air getting through that pot. Search leaf blower trick to clean the spots you missed. There may also be control adjustments you can make as well.

How are tour gaskets? Make sure they are good by doing the dollar bill test

1 - LFF low fuel feed - controls pellet feed rate

4 - LBA low burn air -controls air through stove

1 - AOT air on temp -controls when blower comes on (always stays on 1 with your stove)

These are default settings for your stove....I think you might have an airflow issue like IHP said......have you pulled the small access covers on each side of the burnpot to see how much ash is in there?

The plate up top that covers the heat exchange tubes....once you pull that plate, there are 5 hole up there that the air and ash flow through. I can tell you that you are way due for a full, rip the stove apart, cleaning.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
I pull the plate and vac and clean around the heat exchanger tubes I pull the side plates and vac. I have clean the chimney from top to bottom
What else should I be cleaning ? How do you clean the blower.

Thanks for your help

You need to pull the combustion blower and vacuum that whole cavity but you'll need a spare gasket to put back in as you'll likely tear the one you take out. Also, the area behind and inside the "firebrick" can get loaded up with ash that needs to get blown out. Search "leaf blower method" here or on youtube. It's a great way to clean your vent between full cleanings. Out of curiosity, how did you clean your vent? How long is the run?

Some people can't do this but I take my stove outside and blow it out with compressed air after every 1 - 1.5 ton burned.

******sorry I posted convection blower, meant to post pull the combustion blower******

IMAG0528.jpg

Last edited:
Air. Air. Air. Oak clean? Exhaust?

I used a brush up and out the top. I then fished by ash vac blower hose into the tee towards the stove. The stove is burning great and putting out a lot of heat
I was just surprised on the level of the pellets in the burn pot. The chimeny goes out the wall and up about (5) ft 3" dia

I'm still thinking air flow....check your oak too like the previous poster said.....make sure it's clear.....
Did this just start happening since cleaning or burning of the new pellets?

Sure looks like a job for a super sucker or air compressor along with some thumping of the firebox walls and then you can see about increasing the low air by one level, 60 bags of ash through the stove screams really clean me before playing with any of the settings.

Super sucker = a really powerful well filtered shop vacuum attached to the vent outside (or our favorite tool a leaf blower suction end attached to the vent) while you are thumping firebox wall and using stiff brushes in all exhaust passages.

Reactions: slvrblkk
Status
Not open for further replies.