Burn your embers (a.k.a. coals) down: HOW TO - open discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So in my basement 30NC, the coals get covered in ash, and the whole thing turns into a big lump. It would be great if I could have a grate to shift the ashes through and allow the coals to remain in the firebox and burn down further. Not as big of an issue now that I have my FP25 upstairs to carry most of my heating load. When I was using that as my only woodstove, it was super frustrating to come down after an 8-10 hour burn and find a 200 degree stove that's still half way full.

Really agitate the coals. The ash will fall to the bottom, larger pieces move to the top. It works the same as in an avalanche.

WOW !!! So many great responses. Love it, love this forum. 😍

My current understanding is that operating a wood stove is more complicated than rocket science.

LOL :)

I like the idea that we , wood stove owners, need to achieve synergy with what appears to be an organic being.

We have basic rules and understanding, but we might never figure out the paradigm.

I just love the heat and visuals from the fire.

xo

I find when I have over coaling, which is after every load basically, I’ll rake the coals to the front and burn a split of pine or soft maple E/W. This works but I’ve also burned them down with the door cracked. I’ve even scooped the coals into a metal bucket to make room for the next load. I need more pine for this that’s for sure.
For the overnight load sometimes I’ll rake the coals to the front making a mound, I’ll put a smaller split in the back of the firebox E/W then put the rest of the wood in N/S. This makes it so the N/S wood goes in more level and you get a little extra wood in the back while having the mound of coals in the front to burn down.

5625533_KoalKeeper_600.jpg

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but some wood pellets added to raked forward coals might help. I wouldn’t put in too much though.

I’ve never heard of the wood pellet trick. Maybe I’ll see if I can get some

I've thought about it too; it (adding pellets) has also been mentioned to help with cold starts of the stove. So far I have not tried because I have enough splitter trash to do that.

I'd like to know how this goes with coals; wouldn't the pellets fill the voids where air goes thru the coals that helps burn them down?