Burning the good stuff tonight....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkazak

Jan 21, 2014
Nebraska
Temps aren't THAT bad (7-degrees) but the humidity coming off the lake is making it frigid...brrrr...

My normal species is the readily available locust and mulberry that grows abundantly on my property but tonight I broke into my stash of about 5-cords of hedge that I purchased two years ago.

There's a lot of hedge rows about 70- miles south of me but not a single tree around where I live. I've got a good friend that has access to a lifetime of the stuff - but it's not feasible for me to go and get it with the equipment I have - lack thereof actually.

But a young man who lives in that area and works near me sold and delivered to me the stack(s) that I've used sparingly. And tonight is one of those times. Except for going off like fireworks when I open the door it's great wood.

Mmmmm...toasty.

Wish we had it locally. To far to drive to be worth getting. Ever try to drive a nail in it? _g

Best I've got ready right now is BL. I got about 1/3 cord of Hedge a couple years back but I haven't split and stacked it yet..I'm hoping the intact rounds will attract more. ==c I've missed out on a couple big Hedge scores; One was three or four trees, but the guy thought it was too close to the road and wanted pros to handle it. I tried to convince him I was an 'amateur pro,' but he was having none of it. :( The other score, a guy cleared out the edge of a long drive, a bunch of Black Cherry and Hedge, maybe 20 trees. I tried to contact him, to no avail, then later saw the wood heaped up and burning in the field. Oh, the humanity! !!!

Another thing about the Osage Orange is that (in my Liberty) it seems to require a good amount of air to fuel the burn. So it delivers a lot of heat but doesn't last through the night. I've had some Shagbark Hickory in the past that I could turn down the air supply and still have a good coal bed in 8-10 hours.
Am I doing something wrong...? The hedge has seasoned for 2-1/2 years....

Another thing about the Osage Orange is that (in my Liberty) it seems to require a good amount of air to fuel the burn. So it delivers a lot of heat but doesn't last through the night
With the BL, I have to give it a lot of air for a while to get it rolling, but once it is, I can cut the air quite a bit and it will go for a long time.

I've started burning some primo oak . . . -3 degrees or something like that this morning.

I have had nothing but BL in the stoves the last week. The heat and coals have been great, about overheated the house last night with it. Temps were around 10 with -15 degree windchill. Not the coldest but very happy the stoves could heat the house with little problem.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.