Burning Vinyl Chloride

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shank

May 21, 2022
Ohio
Purely to test the exposure of this story as I am quite local to the incident, has this been covered in your areas? Eastern side of Ohio train derailment. Controlled explosion to release 100,000 to 300,000 gallons of Vinyl Chloride and was burned off.

As always, no politics. Neither side seems to care so I can't see any argument here.

Controlled is better than an uncontrolled detonation.

Recovery was not an option. As a vapor it’s heavier than air. Combustion byproducts are HCl (nasty) and CO (much less nasty).

I guess it’s the best option? May be some HCl exposure downwind.

Controlled is better than an uncontrolled detonation.

Recovery was not an option. As a vapor it’s heavier than air. Combustion byproducts are HCl (nasty) and CO (much less nasty).

I guess it’s the best option? May be some HCl exposure downwind.

Seemingly they chose the best (still terrible) option. Reports of large amounts dead fish in local streams/etc. The one mile radius (and no other suggestion) during the controlled detonation seemed excessively small. Residents from up to 30 miles in many directions could smell the strong smell from it.

My guess is dioxin will be created. Nasty stuff. Burning PVC is known source.

Reactions: ABMax24 and Shank
That's all I could think of last night watching the news, I'd be in my car and headed upwind from that one.

Dioxins aren't to be messed with.
I currently sit 10 miles from the derailment and live approximately 20 miles from it. Fortunately wind very rarely comes from the direction of the site to where I am at/live.

Reactions: EbS-P and ABMax24
I read about the train wreck and subsequent controlled release here in Kansas. As a volunteer firefighter, it made me question again what we would do if that happened on our watch. We have a fairly busy UP track running through our response area...

Reactions: Shank
What even is "vinyl" chloride? Chloride I get but "vinyl" really isn't a chemical.

What even is "vinyl" chloride? Chloride I get but "vinyl" really isn't a chemical.
In chemistry vinyl refers to this functional group
1675853907911.png

Reactions: Highbeam
I have read about the derailment and the controlled burn from Alaska on national outlets, but not the sort of thing to make my hometown/ smalltown newspaper. ABC, NBC and CNN have all provided some coverage.

Reactions: Shank