Burns Great on 2 but not 1 (englander 25 IP "Imperial")

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
So my stove (Englander 25IP Imperial, pic below) burns great on 2 with a nice white/yellow torch like flame.....

but on 1 it's just lazy (like me in my 20's) and the pellets are building up.... any thoughts???

Here's what I have done.....
-cleaned
*flu/exhaust pipe brushed and leaf blower tricked it,
*burnpot, ashpan, burn chamber
*heat exchanger (bang with a hammer and removed cleaning port covers, vacuumed)
*even removed the combustion/exhaust motor and cleaned from there to the heat exchanger as best I could....

-checked for leaks on door, ashpan, hopper, exhaust/combustion motor assembly.....
-tried 3 different pellet types

After I cleaned everything I thought it must be the exhaust/combustion motor....... 90% of the time run it on 1 so I turned it to 2 and it runs great...... it used to run great on 1 and can't imagine why it would have changed

maxresdefault.jpg

Obstructions in the OAK? I would monitor but wouldn't be overly concerned yet. Is stove in proper mode? Mine is #2. If you want to go further you can note voltages to motor at different settings and amp draws. If you want to go the extra mile there are tachometers that you can check rpms of motors that I have used and they can be had for as little as $10 that I have used successfully. Also never hurts to check main power coming in to make sure that is not lower.
I was thinking of buying a combustion blower just to have in case. It seems like a likely issue to happen someday.

Last edited:
What is low fuel feed and low air burn set at? Mine is 2 and 4 respectively. You could also try a control board reset, these englander boards can be flaky and occasionally require a reset to get them to stop acting up. Also the burn mode for this stove I *think* should be 2. Perhaps someone else can verify...

i did check the oak and it's good plus it's only 3ft long with a screen on the outside to prevent critters......

as for the low fuel feed low air burn.....i haven't played with that but maybe thats it...i will check later when i get home.....

i did check the oak and it's good plus it's only 3ft long with a screen on the outside to prevent critters......

as for the low fuel feed low air burn.....i haven't played with that but maybe thats it...i will check later when i get home.....
did you get stove figured out?? did anyone know what the setting should be? 2/3/4/5?? on the control board program

I have the same stove, my control board just went, lost control of exhaust blower.

this stove has been a love//hate thing

Not really...I just kept running it on 2..... sometimes this thing is effen amazing burns great lots of heat low ash etc but then sometimes it's the biggest p.i.t.a....

Ilately I am constantly cleaning, banging on the heat echanger even morning I have to clean out the burn pot etc etc.

It is a love hate thing.

I have it and will live with it but after 3 or 4 seasons I can not recommend it.

YEA 2 burn pots for me.....ignitor is still good though computer never should go..

I haven't how do i get to that setting?

YEA 2 burn pots for me.....ignitor is still good though computer never should go..

I haven't how do i get to that setting?
The bottom left is pellet feed the middle bottom is air feed (speeds or slows exhaust motor)

You push the lower bottom you want to adjust and then push both (at same time) the blower up or down and the heat up or down. The number should change. So u want to add more fuel push the low feed buton and heat up and blower up.

Don't adjust the air on. Leave it at 1.

The bottom left is pellet feed the middle bottom is air feed (speeds or slows exhaust motor)

You push the lower bottom you want to adjust and then push both (at same time) the blower up or down and the heat up or down. The number should change. So u want to add more fuel push the low feed buton and heat up and blower up.

Don't adjust the air on. Leave it at 1.
What are the numbers now before adjusting