Burping stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2009
SW CO
We are new to wood burning. We are using a small Fisher (pat no D237798). Several times a day it "burps" and smoke and ashs puff out from around the door. It's so gross. Got any ideas as to why or how to fix the problem? Thanks. p.s. some "burps" are larger than others and louder too.

Welcome PS, Yes, it's disgusting to have a burping or farting stove. The theory is that wood gases are building up in the stove
and then suddenly ignited to cause a mini explosion. These are reportedly common with compressed logs but can also occur with
seasoned wood. Try to keep active flames in your stove at all times and burn the load with a little more air to avoid a "farty" mess.

That is sick. I can sympathize with you. I once had a stove with gas. :lol:

Maybe your girl needs a little more air?

Welcome to the forum PS.

I agree with the others on the mini-explosion. However, you also need to check the chimney. It could be clogging and not allowing the smoke out as fast as it needs to. Check especially at the top of the chimney and the cap.

Good luck.

little less wood, little more air. If the unit builds with gas and you open the door, the gasses will flash out the front......that would make for a bad day

Yes, the air-fuel ratio is far too rich. Open the secondary air a bit to allow the fire to thrive. Your stove temps will be more consistent and your chimney cleaner!

Status
Not open for further replies.