Burried Outdoor Wood Boiler Possibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassprokd

Jan 6, 2013
Hello. I'm new to the boards. Just purchased a home that borders my land that we moved into. I've got lots of wood but the home only has s heat pump with electric backup. I intend on getting an outdoor wood boiler but had an idea I want to know is feasible. Only good place for boiler is 50 yards out of rear door. We have a walk out basement in side front corner of house with a paver retaining wall about 7ft tall. I want to know if there are any boiler designs that I could bury into the hill so the door essentially is in line with the pavers. I would then run the chimney up the gable side of the house. My air handler is in the basement and would be about a 16 ft run for the pipes. This would keep mess out of the house and be easy to fill on cold snowy days. Input/ideas? Thanks!

Hi Bassprokd
Welcome to Hearth
I remember my Dad was going to build a Hausa Hut once.It is mostly in ground for heating water.
You may have to build a cement boiler room to house the boiler in your wall.But i havn't heard of any boiler that you can bury,but if there is one someone on this board will let you know.
Thomas

Yeah I was thinking I may need a concrete form to slide the unit into. I'm really not even sure if my county ordinance would even allow this. But it sure would be convenient and get the smoke up high. One main reason is the wind blows up the mountain onto my land which I hunt and my kids may build on. I want the smoke up above the house if possible.

Keep in mind you have a lot of plumbing, electrical connections to make and sometimes maintain. You will need some working space around your boiler. Do you have room for an indoor boiler in your basement?

One of the nicest approaches I've seen is to have an indoor gasifier installed in an insulated outbuilding with enough room for some 'indoor' wood storage and space to load and service the boiler. Some folks include heat storage in the outbuilding as well.

There's a lot of benefit to keeping the ash and wood mess out of the house, and there's a lot of benefit to being warm and dry when you're loading the boiler.

No reason an outbuilding couldn't be partly underground.

One of my neighbors had a cement boiler in the ground. I think it was a concrete septic tank with modifications to dump in wood frm the top. He had pex coiled around it. Worked until the pex melted.....

Gg

One of my neighbors had a cement boiler in the ground. I think it was a concrete septic tank with modifications to dump in wood frm the top. He had pex coiled around it. Worked until the pex melted.....

Gg

:oops:

Gg

I should clarify it worked according to him. He also thought it was great to burn any thing he could fit in the thing.

gg

Could you bury a shipping container in the hill and use that for your boiler room,wood storage ect.Make a door that looks like the pavers,and other than the smoke you will never see it,you could have storage in it as well.Or a section of culvert,a large tank i have 3 10,000 gal ones that would have plenty of room for a boiler,storage and a weeks worth of wood.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.