Burrning on low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excell

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I am new to pellet stoves and need some advice . I have it installed in my garage and like to leave it on low when I am not out there .Is that going to carbon up my chimney like a wood stove ? It would not be uncommon to go for 24 hrs or more at a time .

IMO it depends on the brand of pellets being used,I never had creosote build up in the pipe burning on low until I tried some potomac pellets after 2 bags of these pellets there was build up, my guess would be whatever pellets your using just check your exhaust if you can and see how it goes.

Thank you ,will do .It burned all nite and hardly used any thing .It is still warm in there around 50 Deg . I can see where extra insulation will help with this stove . With the wood stove It didn't matter I used to have to open the door to cool it down . This has lots of control .

xbillyx said:
I burn mine on low and I get a buildup on the glass screen. But, it doesn't bug me. I just clean it every several days. I may be getting the buildup from the pellet quality, though.

It may not be the pellets....the low setting on most stoves isn't great for keeping the glass clear. Low burn temps, and low airflow don't make things any better. Most stoves glass gets better when the heat & fans are turned up when the weather gets colder.

My bottom feeder (entry level) Harman P-38 runs on low (#1) setting all fall and spring and the glass stays clean for days. After a week or so a gray ash buildup begins to appear on the right side and grows progressively but never have I encountered any crosote or blackish soot , just a light grey ash that wipes off with a paper towel.

Gio said:
My bottom feeder (entry level) Harman P-38 runs on low (#1) setting all fall and spring and the glass stays clean for days. After a week or so a gray ash buildup begins to appear on the right side and grows progressively but never have I encountered any crosote or blackish soot , just a light grey ash that wipes off with a paper towel.
Now that's impresive I can't go more than a day without the grayish build up on low, the only time I had the creosote build up on low was with the potomac pellets, cleaned everything up and now burning a different brand and no creosote.

Been burning on low for 10 years with my whitfield, so the glass gets dirty, so what, anything higher than 3 which is middle is a waste of pellets, like 2 bags a day.

Dr_Drum said:
If the stack temp gets below 250 you may get creosote formation.

More info here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/creosote_from_wood_burning_causes_and_solutions
Mike -

I'm not sure I agree with you here. Pellet stoves are not like woodburners. If you have the right mix of fuel and air, the pellets should almost dance in the burn pot. The only smoldering happens at start up/shut down. If you are burning your stove too low and you start smoking, you need to increase your combustion air. That said, there is no development of vaporized partially burned fuel to build into creosote. You will get soot build up in your flue, but not a burnable compound. Again, IF you are burning correctly. The temp of the stack is the unclaimed heat from the stove and is only needed to push the "smoke " up the stack. I direct vent one stove and have put my hand at the cap (needed a little warming when working outside) and it didn't burn me as it was probably about 150f degrees.

Right now, outside temps hi 40's daytime, low 30's nite. Burn 24/7 on the lowest setting I've got, inside temp 70's daytime, hi 60's at nite. too hot for me, Old Gray Mere loves it. Bag-a -day. Happy harmony in the household. Meet Smilin' Bob

Gio said:
. . . but for pellets it means nothing.

That makes sense to me. I can put my hand on my vent and it can't be 250. I've never had any creosote either.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.