Buy in Canada Bring to USA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yomanwill

Oct 7, 2022
Michigan, USA
Have my eye on a Enerzone destination 2.7 wood insert. Since it needs to be ordered called around a few places. One happened to be in Canada an they are a lot cheaper with the exchange rate. I live near the border and have bought things back and forth before, but nothing this large. Am I missing something here? Or would a couple hour drive really save me $700?

For simplicity sake
USA Seller: ~4,000 USD
CAD Seller:~4,500 CAD = 3,300 USD

Verify there are no gotchas or exceptions in the tax code but may be ok?

Spent far too much time on the cbp website. The answer is probably ok? The stove is Canadian built and EPA certified. I attempted to call the Detroit office, but the line has been busy all day. The price is over the personal exemption, but the US and Canada have NAFTA, so if a duty is assessed it would be zero. Worst case, maybe 5% of the value, if they really wanted to twist the rules somehow. But ya, seems far too easy.

Well, people bring over cars, so a stove would seem to be more straight-forward but I have not tried it in spite of living close to the border.

Well, people bring over cars, so a stove would seem to be more straight-forward but I have not tried it in spite of living close to the border.
and all of their covid restrictions have been lifted. A year ago, getting there and back might have been quite the experience.

Did a little more digging, if I wanted to do belts and suspenders could do an import bond found a few quotes for ~$200, but doesn't make too much sense seems more for commercial and rapidly hitting the point where it's not worth it. I was able to find a place to submit a question to the US border control, they claim response in 5-10biz days, I'll let folks know the answer to what I asked below:

"I want to buy a Canadian made fireplace insert it's valued at $4,500 CAD and bring it to the USA for personal use. Plan is to jump in the van, swing into Canada, buy the insert, drive back home to Michigan. Would it be that easy? I think so, because NAFTA, but want to check with you."

Did a little more digging, if I wanted to do belts and suspenders could do an import bond found a few quotes for ~$200, but doesn't make too much sense seems more for commercial and rapidly hitting the point where it's not worth it. I was able to find a place to submit a question to the US border control, they claim response in 5-10biz days, I'll let folks know the answer to what I asked below:

"I want to buy a Canadian made fireplace insert it's valued at $4,500 CAD and bring it to the USA for personal use. Plan is to jump in the van, swing into Canada, buy the insert, drive back home to Michigan. Would it be that easy? I think so, because NAFTA, but want to check with you."
Maybe call the seller and ask them. Surely they know. Or find one like right on the border.
Or avoid border crossing all together eh. Plenty of them. But of course I'm not suggesting you circumvent some sort of archaic law. Just if you know it is legit but don't want to deal with a newbie at the crossing and all that may hold you up for a long time or turn you away entirely

Canadian seller had the same thought, just buy from a US dealer and don't play the currency game. I'm in no rush and have all the time in the word. No harm in poking around. I do paperwork as a day job. I can do paperwork all day long.

For a trip under 24hrs anything over $200 imported into the US is subject to a 3% Customs duty.

That being said look into the HTS (Harmonized Tariff System) there were some funky tariffs a while ago relating to steel, like 25% in some cases. Would be really crappy to buy the stove in Canada and get hit with a 25% tariff. I do believe the USMCA agreement has reversed this however, particularly because the stove is made in Canada (a member of the USMCA).