bypass 500gal. propane tank to smaller one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
Right now I have a 500gal LP tank for the house can i hook up a smaller tank to run just the Hot water heater for the summer ?

Yes, you can, but I suppose the question that needs to be asked is WHY?
You already have a properly functioning leak-proof supply, & if it ain't
broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: FLAMES ON
DAKSY summed that up well. Reconsider what you are contemplating here.

Who owns the existing propane equipment ? What other appliances or equipment are you going to bypass by doing this ?

I was in the propane business many years. More details ? Can I assume this is a split system due to the tank being located away from the house ? Do you have a regulator on the tank and a second regulator at the house ?

Want a portable tank i can get filled. Just need some propane to run my hot water tank and Don't want to pay big $ for a truck delivery right now .

If you tell me who owns the 500 gallon set up I can tell you more. If you do not own the 500 gallon set up issues exist you need to be aware of before you touch anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.