Can I use a razorblade on my glass to remove creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There should be no coating other than what you want to take off.

If you are careful to keep the bade flat so you don't scratch the glass with a corner this should be fine.

A wet newspaper dipped in ashes should work as well. (Not if the window is hot.)

Reactions: garth_2022
Burn it off with a hot fire or two. If you can’t your wood is too wet or draft is inadequate.

Yes you can but I usually file the corners off

Reactions: garth_2022
On the HI500, I use a razorblade tool to scrape the creosote when I open the door to load logs sometimes.
Amazon product ASIN B0002SR88CIs it safe? Is there some coating on the glass I may be removing, compromising it's integrity?
I just wet a paper towel, then dip in the white ashes and the residues on the glass easily rub off in the mornings when the stove is cooler. Then, use a damp clean paper towel to wipe streak-free. Cheap, handy and easy!

Reactions: FramerJ and Shank