can I use a stove designed for a 8" flue with a 6" flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahd124

Feb 5, 2007
This is probably addressed elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone
know if I can use a 1980's vermont castings defiant with a 6" flue? I
currently have a jotul black bear, but it doesn't burn long enough for
me. I have a friend who wants to trade me for their defiant, but I
don't know if it will draw properly. There would be 2 45degree turns,
but the chimney is newly relined, 30' tall, and insulated. Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

ahd124 said:
This is probably addressed elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone
know if I can use a 1980's vermont castings defiant with a 6" flue? I
currently have a jotul black bear, but it doesn't burn long enough for
me. I have a friend who wants to trade me for their defiant, but I
don't know if it will draw properly. There would be 2 45degree turns,
but the chimney is newly relined, 30' tall, and insulated. Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Pretty sure that's a no-no. I _believe_ that you can use a stove designed for a 6", with an 8", provided theres enough draft, but not vice-versa. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

-Hal

Depends on the stove, the answer should be in the stove manual. Some stoves you can do it but only with restrictions. For instance some of the VC stoves had the ability to be run with the front doors open, using a fire-screen. This wasn't allowed if using a 6" flue instead of an 8".

There are relatively few stoves that can't be used on a 6" flue, but I'm not sure about this model

Gooserider

I've seen Earth Stoves run on a 6" that are made for an 8" pipe. @ 18' chimney and two 45° these stove were running at about 80% of what they could of.

I have the pre 1988 Vermont castings manual here and it states that the Defiant and Viligant flew collars must not be reduced they require an 8" connector pipe and flue.

In the 90's the Encore was tested and certified for use with the optional 6" flue collar. However the open fire screen option is not supported

Yeah elk is absolutely right. I have the same manual in front of me here. Its the reason the donor stove is getting an eight inch flue all the way up.

today, i had a customer come in looking for advice. He didnt buy a product that i carry so i was not familar with his insert. He has a 6" liner and a 8" flue outlet, on a country insert. The manual stated that it could run on both flue sizes. I must be ingnorant, is this a new trend? I have seen plenty of manuals that say a 6" stove will work on a 8" pipe, but not vise versa. He was concerned, and in my mind, rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.