Can someone help identify HS Tarm Model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DustyDentist

Apr 14, 2023
North Carolina
I'm putting in an offer on a house soon. There is an old HS Tarm in an isolated furnace room. We have no idea if it works or not. An 85yo woman lives there and I doubt its been used in almost 20 years. Any information that y'all can provide would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping to first identify the model. Then with that, i'm hoping to find the user manual so i can hopefully try and start it to see if it works or not.

Lastly, If anyone can help identify what that missing part looks like in the top right of the machine where it looks like a knob or handle should go, i would be appreciative of help there. I wouldn't feel safe trying to start it until i know whether or not that was a critical part or not.

Thank you.

20230406_155707.jpg
20230406_155709.jpg

I would contact the pros at Tarm USA
This link has pictures of all the models.

It definitely needs a lot more clearances around the unit.

If you lift the top cover there should be a tag on the boiler that has the model and when it was made. I have one that looks similar, I think it's a mb55 built in 1979. I would imagine that one is around the same vintage.

You can try this link for a Tarm Manual:
If that doesn't work send me your address and I can make a copy of the Manual for your boiler. It looks like an MB 55 Solo.

That hole that you mention at the top of the boiler is just a "cutout" where the boiler has a place for a sensor, gauge, etc. It looks like there is a pipe plug there now. I don't use it on my MB 55. It's an excellent boiler. I've used it every winter for 43 years now.

Good luck!

Reactions: hobbyheater