Can you add a glass door to a fisher stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JKC

Jan 1, 2015
ILL.
Hi,
I am looking to install a wood stove in my barn. It is 24 x32 and insulated. I like the old stoves like Fisher but I would like to be able to see the fire burning. I do not have to see it all the time but would like to be able to safely. Has anyone added glass doors? If you use a screen how dose it work for you? I would appreciate any information.

Are you referring to making your own doors, or using glass doors from another Fisher Stove?

Burning with screen in place is called Fireplace Mode. This requires the installation and use of a flue damper, which becomes your only fire control.

With fire established, open doors and install spark screen. Slowly close damper until smoke forms at top and begins to roll in at top of door opening. Open damper slightly to evacuate smoke while allowing some retention of heat and slowing fire.

They are not considered radiant heaters in Fireplace Mode.

I was wonder if they could be made. I did not know if they could be made of steel because all I have seen are cast. Also I thought it would be complicated since it would need a air wash or you would not be able to see anyway.

Is there any disadvantage to fireplace mode other than the lost of the radiant heat?

Steel doors were the first made until Bob Fisher’s dad Baxter suggested having them fast at a foundry to speed production. Thick enough steel or a design to prevent warpage is fine.

Air wash and primary air intakes are required. When secondary air is administered at the top, angled toward glass the combustion of smoke particles reduces accumulation on glass as well.

Two types of heat are produced, radiant and convection. This is a radiant appliance. The output is determined by the surface temperature of each square inch of radiating surface. With doors open, much more indoor heated air rushes into stove and up chimney. The chimney gets much hotter and stays clean, but stove surface temperatures drop, reducing heat output. Like a fireplace, as the fire dies, heat lost up the chimney can put heating efficiency into the negative numbers.

The cast doors are thick to prevent warpage and radiate heat from the mass. Glass allows some radiation through as well.

A screen is useful if wood has become wet during a storm or the fire will not start easily. Starting kindling with the screen in place until larger pieces catch and doors can be closed to start producing heat is sometimes the fastest way to start a fire with less than dry wood.