Can you upgrade a wood insert blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennmomn3girls

Dec 28, 2013
TN
We have a Security Chimneys BIS Nova. I am replacing the blower and I would like to upgrade it if possible to one with increased RPMs for increased airflow.. The motor we have currently is a UZY6.

Can anyone suggest an upgraded version that will work?

Many thanks!

Cold Mom in TN

Since I have no experience with zero clearance fireplaces I may be way off base here. On most inserts folks make the mistake of trying to make them act like a forced air furnace. With a furnace your dealing with very high temps that can handle the temp drop created by a fast moving fan. A wood stove is a radiant heater and all your trying to accomplish with a blower is to keep air circulating. The faster you move the air the cooler it gets and the cooler your stove gets. I find on my regular insert that low speed does the best job. Your not trying to heat your house with hot air. Your trying to heat it with radiant heat from the stove.

According to your manual(read the PDF version), only the one that came with it is an acceptable replacement. Not to say another might not work, but knowing a different one will fit and work is going to be tough without buying one. And if it don't work, that is a good chunk of change to waste.
I honestly did check some of the sites I looked at when I bought a replacement, and could not find one for your model.

Since I have no experience with zero clearance fireplaces I may be way off base here. On most inserts folks make the mistake of trying to make them act like a forced air furnace. With a furnace your dealing with very high temps that can handle the temp drop created by a fast moving fan. A wood stove is a radiant heater and all your trying to accomplish with a blower is to keep air circulating. The faster you move the air the cooler it gets and the cooler your stove gets. I find on my regular insert that low speed does the best job. Your not trying to heat your house with hot air. Your trying to heat it with radiant heat from the stove.
Hers is set up with ducting for transfer of air to other locations. At least that is what it appears in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.