Carbon Cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In thinking about this more, wouldn't a tree that contains a high carbon content/lb also contain higher BTU content? Clearly this may not be the case since poplar isn't a high BTU wood....or is it simply that poplar grows fast, so poplar removes carbon from the atmosphere faster than say, oak? So it a carbon lb/growth year measurement?

That's a good question, Warren. As I understand it, fast growth trumps density. The big question is: How do you lock up the most carbon per acre per year. In every case I've seen, it's done with fast-growing hardwoods like hybrid poplar. Why hardwood over softwood? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.