Carving Up a Thanksgiving Racoon ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A few years back the Union at the firehouse decided to do a fundraising cookbook with recipes from the guys . . . one of the more notable entries was Squirrel Pie from "Jethro."
Bangor Maine... My good and longtime buddy lives in Stockton Springs....Wife follows the Bangor Police department facebook page and we read the BDN online every day.. Plenty of squirrels up your way. Never had squirrel pie, just stew with dumplings.

he's a chunk wood burner too. Heats his house with it and always has. Had a pellet burner at one time but sold it. Finds wood to be more exercise I guess.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Animals tend to taste like what they forage on and antelope and western mule deer graze on sage brush and pinyon trees so they tend to taste like them.
Now that you mention that the roadkill moose I had up in Pittsburg, NH tasted aquatic, but in a very good, interesting way.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Now that you mention that the roadkill moose I had up in Pittsburg, NH tasted aquatic, but in a very good, interesting way.
On my 'bucket list'. I play the Maine Moose Lottery every year, have quite a few preference points too. My buddy west of Bangor is a Maine Licensed trapper and part time conservation officer so when I pull a tag (not if, when), he will be my guide. Problem is, I'm running out of room for mounts. My wife don't like the 'eyes' staring at her. I have 2 big Mulies in the bedroom watching us all the time.... :) , a standing bear mount in the great room and a couple antelope on the walls. It's an expensive hobby but a great way to see the country, just not this year. Have a 10 point B&C Mulie coming from Nebraska in the next couple weeks. I shot him east of Valentine, Nebraska just over a year ago. He's a big one. Donated the meat instead of getting it processed. Shot him the last day of rifle season and knowing how a free range Mulie tastes, I didn't bother though I did have my coolers with me. They have sage brush in Nebraska too...

Think next fall will be an Elk in Wyoming or Nevada. Have the points in both states to draw, unless Maine pop up and then it will be a Bullwinkle.

Funny, there's no problem at all bringing up pictures of moose grazing in water. Being from a farm, I have trouble eating pork - talking about tasting like where they spend time.

Swine do have a particular odor about them. There is a pig farm on the other side of the river from us and if the wind is just right I can smell it. I do like Pork Bellies.

i'vr tried beaver. never again. it tastes like it smells. a swamp. but i do agree bear is great meat

Reactions: SidecarFlip