Castile smoke leaking around vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
I have a Castile stove that leaks around the exhaust pipe when it first fires up I get smoke coming out around the pipe . The pipe coming out of the stove. The exhaust pipe has been resealed twice where it hooks to the stove pipe. Have there been any problems with cracks on this stove. I can see the smoke just before the pellets light off. I am sure its not the connection at the exhaust pipe.
Thanks

it is the connetion to the stove and the pipe use 2-3 times as much silicone as before it is very unlikely that there is a crack in the stove it is a sloppy fit depending on the pipe

It could also be leaking at one of the other pipes, or an elbow. The smoke gets into the outer wall of the pipe then bleeds back down to the open end where it connects to the stove.

Thanks we found the tee coming out of stove had a crack allowing fumes and smoke in the house just before pellets would light. Replaced the tee and stove working o.k now.

Status
Not open for further replies.