Castle Insert is on all the time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mactoolsix

Nov 28, 2015
Saratoga, CA
We have had this insert since 2006 - has been pretty trouble free except for a new control box replacement several years ago.
I have done another through cleaning of the insert and replaced the control box as it has been constantly feeding pellets.
Now with a new control box, thermostat is off:
Plug in electrical and blue light comes on
Red light is off
Immediately feeds some pellets and exhaust fan runs about 5 seconds.
Exhaust fan shuts off, feeds more pellets and 10 seconds later exhaust fan comes back on.
This continues forever until I unplug the electrical plug.
Disconnecting the thermostat wires makes no difference.
Disconnecting the vacuum switch only stops the feed motor, exhaust fan continues to cycle.
The igniter turns on briefly but not long enough to actually turn red or light the pellets.
The red feed light does come on when the thermostat is turned on.
What could be the problem?

What is the selector switch on the control box set to? Is this a Castle brand stove or a Quadrafire Castile stove?

This is a Quadra-Fire Castile Insert.
The selector switch on the control box is set at 6 - same as the original control box. The new box came set at 6 and I have not changed it.

Did you try disconnecting the wires for the thermostat and plugging in the unit?

Is the control box seated all the way into the connector? Check this only with the unit unplugged.

Did you try the old control board again? Does the exhaust fan stay on the whole time instead of cycling on and off? Is it possible that the new control board is bad?

For some reason the old control box quite working entirely!!
It has been overfeeding for sometime, so I decided time to do a through cleaning and replace the control box.

Did you buy the control box locally? Can they test it for you?