Castle Serenity Vacuum Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajpn

Mar 3, 2019
Northern California
Hi everyone.

When I got this stove last February (2018) it had problems right out of the gate dying a few minutes after successfully starting. I called tech support and they had me change the wires from one heat sensor to the other on the exhaust fan and from one vacuum to the other (yes my stove had two separate vacuum switches installed) on the opposite side. After that it worked, but there was little winter remaining and I didn't use it all that much until this season.

Just to be sure the stove would be okay Castle sent me a new vacuum switch and a new exhause fan at the beginning of March.

This winter it has been working okay. But I realized if I didnt thoroughly clean it before each use then there were other issues. So I bought a set of small and medium wire brushes and a dedicated shop vac just for the stove. And I thoroughly cleaned it before turning it on each use. I've also cleaned out the exhaust box a couple of times.

The results are the stove still looks very new inside and out and for the most part (depending on the pellets used) it doesnt take much to keep it clean.

Last week the stove started smoking more than usual and a few days later it started up with the vacuum problems again. I exchanged the vacuum switch with the one they had sent. No change. Took out the vacuum hose and checked it and the metal tube into the burn chamber. All clear. Tried using a jumper over the vacuum switch and the stove works fine. While it is running jumped, I checked the hose. There is no vacuum being created through the line. Checked the exhaust pipe through the side of the house and outside of the house and it is all clear.

I've also tested the different vacuum switches [all three of them] and with only slight suction they all work and close the contact with the wires on it. It appears the stove just isn't creating any vacuum whatsoever.

I'm at a complete loss. Has anyone else ever had this sort of issue?

Thank you for your help.

what is your exhaust vent configuration, how long? was this professionally installed? have you cleaned inside the stove and combustion blower housing? the vacuum the stoves create are not detectable without a magnehelic guage.

what is your exhaust vent configuration, how long? was this professionally installed? have you cleaned inside the stove and combustion blower housing? the vacuum the stoves create are not detectable without a magnehelic guage.

I installed the stove replacing a stove that was professionally installed. Exhaust pipe goes straight through the wall about 18 inches away from the house to a T cleaning trap. Exhaust straight up through the overhang 6 to 8 feet.

I have cleaned everything. Including the pipe from the roof down to the T with a round chimney brush. I have taken the blower out and scraped out and vacuumed the box.

I would think the vacuum created through that small hose would be enough to at least move the flame on a match. It doesnt. Maybe I'm wrong. I know I have 3 vacuum switches including one that was never used until this morning. None work. But using the bypass connector on either of the white ones (the original and the replacement) or jumping the wire makes the stove run seemingly fine.

What are your exhaust and fan voltages set at? Is the vacuum icon on the panel lit?

If....you’re sure you don’t have any gasket leaks at either the door seal or the hopper lid.....I’d try increasing the exhaust voltage and fan voltage about 10.....in all the stalls. I’d also check the clean out cap on the t...to be sure it’s secure......and verify that all joints are sealed. It sounds as if the exhaust terminates above the roof.....Is that screened? Or possibly plugged. You’re pushing exhaust thru a fair amount of pipe.....so, more exhaust speed migh5 be the issue. If you don’t want to change them all......try setting the stove to 3 manual.....just increase the exhaust and fan speeds on stall 3......to maybe 105......see what happens. Let us know.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I'm a lucky owner I guess as I have not had any issues with any of mine. But as mentioned above, the door seal gasket and hopper lid would be my first places to go. Make sure the pellet fines are not holding the hopper lid up at all. I have to clean the fines off of the lid gasket every now and then to make sure the lid can close all the way.
Basically if all that is good, the exhaust blower is what creates the vacuum. So it's condition can be suspect. Also what is your combustion air inlet gate set at? If it is wide open, try closing it to about half or so and see if that restriction helps.

I'm a lucky owner I guess as I have not had any issues with any of mine. But as mentioned above, the door seal gasket and hopper lid would be my first places to go. Make sure the pellet fines are not holding the hopper lid up at all. I have to clean the fines off of the lid gasket every now and then to make sure the lid can close all the way.
Basically if all that is good, the exhaust blower is what creates the vacuum. So it's condition can be suspect. Also what is your combustion air inlet gate set at? If it is wide open, try closing it to about half or so and see if that restriction helps.

On the phone with Castle (Ardisam) this morning and we went through the entire process. No luck. Fire wouldnt even start until he had me turn it off, then the flames flickered to life. Tried just about every test. Everything seemed normal. Just no vacuum. Agreed to talk tomorrow while I double checked intake and exhaust pipes thoroughly. Which I did. Ran the chimney brush down the pipe from up on the roof and then looked at the louvered cap... something I really didn't think to do before. The probably 30 lovers are over half inch gaps. Low and behold it was more than slightly encrusted. I thoroughly cleaned it... and then the stove again and crossed my fingers. Started right up and V was lit up from the get-go.

Running smooth and clean at this time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and patience. Appears to be solved at this time.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke