Catalyst care? Thought i was doing good.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
When I first got the stove used I looked at the catalyst and it was in good shape. No broken sections.
I have been testing my new heatpump so have not used the stove lately and while it was cold I decided to remove the shield and check it. Its very clean with no build up on it but I saw one small section that was now broken.

I figure start up is not much of a problem due to the slow build up of temp etc. My question is on reload? What is the best process to avoid shocking the ceramic and cracking it?

This is my current process on a refill.

1. Open bypass
2. Open draft if I remember. I'll admit most times I forget and do it after I have loaded and closed the door.
3. Open door, add new wood.
4. Watch flue temp and adjust draft while waiting for catalyst to heat up again. Shouldn't catalyst be cold already at this point?
5. When catalyst is up to temp + a bit I close bypass.
6. Open draft again... maybe shouldn't do this? seems to help get it going better.
7. Watch flue temp and lower draft as heat climbs back up.

Avoid loading icy or snowy wood in the stove.

I have a different stove but I don't see obvious issues with your procedure.

I do keep my wood next to the stove for at least two days to avoid introducing cold stuff in the firebox. Water or snow should absolutely be absent.

In my stove I can run at full blast with the bypass closed.
Maybe your stove is different, though. (If it's a hybrid it could be designed to run with secondary air when running high, and with the cat when low?)

Avoid loading icy or snowy wood in the stove.

All my wood is stored indoors in a cold cellar. I think if/when I replace it I'll get a metal one rather then ceramic. I was not expecting to see the break in the catalyst as I have been trying to baby it.

Is this the one that came with the stove?

Yes, and there was probably some bouncing and jouncing in transport. Usually a ceramic catalyst is reasonably rugged. Read up on ceramic vs steel cats first.