Cawley LeMay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
To the right person, who knows? $1200-1500? However, finding the right person could be a challenge, particularly in a more rural area.

I have a new 600 Cawley LeMay still in the crate it has been in the barn for 40 years I would like to know the value any info would be helpful Thanks Bill
I sold one 7 or 8 years ago for $1000 it had been rebuilt but then used for 4 years before sale. It also sold in 2 weeks. They are definitely desirable.

Yes, on the east coast, where this stove is well known, it would sell for a premium. I am not sure how well it will do in rural Oregon where it is illegal to sell a pre-EPA stove. If still crated and shippable, then eBay may be a good starting place as long as the buyer is willing to pay the freight $hipping.

It would be a shame to break it up, but that is a possibility. Here's some history:

The stove can be sold out of state. I would list it on eBay, with shipping TBD. It could also be listed on Craigslist, in key cities like Sacramento, Denver, Boise, and maybe a few east coast cities like Harrisburg, PA. Maybe offer to split the freight costs with the buyer?

yes
The stove can be sold out of state. I would list it on eBay, with shipping TBD. It could also be listed on Craigslist, in key cities like Sacramento, Denver, Boise, and maybe a few east coast cities like Harrisburg, PA. Maybe offer to split the freight costs with the buyer?
Idaho is only 100 miles from here, but I know that people still use stoves that are not EPA in Oregon . I am trying to get ideas and you people on the forum have been very helpful thank you to all Bill

As the resident Cawley nerd, you have a true treasure right there. From a reputable restorer you could get a restored 600 for a couple thousand. Just the 4 internal pieces cost about $1300 to replace, and parts are getting harder to come by.

As far as new, your diving into collectors market, on the west coast your going to have a harder time because they were made out east.

All this being said, you are already in OR, make a trip to or call Buck over at Bucks stove palace. Stoves.com is his website. He is a MASSIVE collector right in PDX, who actually bought the molds for cawleys and brought the molds out west and he was making parts for repairing Cawleys. Buck came to Bryants Stove Auction in ME a couple months back and spent 25k on stoves and then shipped em all back out west.

I would call him and see if he will give you a good offer on it.

Last part, is I have been looking hard for a Cawley 400/600 manual, if its loose in the crate and you had access too it, I would gladly pay you a little money to scan it and upload it right here on this thread.

Reactions: harryfatcat
As the resident Cawley nerd, you have a true treasure right there. From a reputable restorer you could get a restored 600 for a couple thousand. Just the 4 internal pieces cost about $1300 to replace, and parts are getting harder to come by.

As far as new, your diving into collectors market, on the west coast your going to have a harder time because they were made out east.

All this being said, you are already in OR, make a trip to or call Buck over at Bucks stove palace. Stoves.com is his website. He is a MASSIVE collector right in PDX, who actually bought the molds for cawleys and brought the molds out west and he was making parts for repairing Cawleys. Buck came to Bryants Stove Auction in ME a couple months back and spent 25k on stoves and then shipped em all back out west.

Last part, is I have been looking hard for a Cawley 400/600 manual, if its loose in the crate and you had access too it, I would gladly pay you a little money to scan it and upload it right here on this thread.
I will ask our customers that run cawleys if the have a manual.

One of our customers has a 600 with side shelves. I had never seen them

I would like to thank you for the info I am going to be looking at ways to market the stove . As for Buck I sent him pics. and he out of kindness of his hart thought he could fork over $ 300.00 I would put it out in my yard and plant flowers in it Thanks again for all the help Bill

• Haha
Reactions: D. Hermit
I will ask our customers that run cawleys if the have a manual.

One of our customers has a 600 with side shelves. I had never seen them
I have seen the side shelves! Ive been out looking for one with shelves forever. I saw just them just the one time on a marketplace ad down in Mass.
They are just as hard to find as an actual Elm Wood Stove tool set.
Its a 3 piece set with a holder, all brass w matching wood handles that matched the handles on the stove. All ive found is just a lone poker, but hey its a start ha

I would like to thank you for the info I am going to be looking at ways to market the stove . As for Buck I sent him pics. and he out of kindness of his hart thought he could fork over $ 300.00 I would put it out in my yard and plant flowers in it Thanks again for all the help Bill
Hahah he must still be broke from the auction. I wish you were out on this side of the country, I would pay $1500 for it comfortably.

Reactions: bholler
I have seen the side shelves! Ive been out looking for one with shelves forever. I saw just them just the one time on a marketplace ad down in Mass.
They are just as hard to find as an actual Elm Wood Stove tool set.
Its a 3 piece set with a holder, all brass w matching wood handles that matched the handles on the stove. All ive found is just a lone poker, but hey its a start ha
I think he thought I was not smart enough to find great people like you on the forum have a great day Bill

I think $1500 is a fair value. I don't doubt there are people who would gladly pay more. But finding them is the trick.

I think he thought I was not smart enough to find great people like you on the forum have a great day Bill
That may be all that it is worth to him at this point. Just because he didn't want to pay more doesn't make him a bad guy. Or change the value of the stove.

For some perspective. There is a repainted Cawley 500 on eBay right now listed for $1500. Not sure he'll get that price, but I am pretty sure that you would.

For some perspective. There is a repainted Cawley 500 on eBay right now listed for $1500. Not sure he'll get that price, but I am pretty sure that you would.

Thanks for the info Bill

I didn't say Buck was a bad guy , that said I asked him the same as I asked the people of the forum , what is the value Thanks Bill
Well that's different. The value is way more than $300