CB 1200 issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Butch4011

Feb 13, 2017
New Holland PA
Hello all first time posting here. Thanks in advance for all the time and knowledge everyone puts into these forums.

I'm having a problem with my Classic Bay 1200 FS. Stove does not shut off. Thermostat will "click off" but call light stays on and will keep feeding and firing. I can get it to shut of by removing the t-stat wires. First thought was the t-stat. I replaced this less than a year ago for the same problem. Seemed to stop the issue for a little while, but now/still giving the same problem. Could my 1200 be a t-stat killer? So I switched out the t-stat with a similar one used for another stove in the house. Used a short piece of new wire.

Now THIS one does the opposite. Second t-stat will click on, call light comes on, stove feeds pellets, element warms up, but stops feeding and times out and shuts back off with partially burnt pellets in the pot and the call light left on. I've checked and cleaned the pot and it seems fine.

This crazy stove reacts differently with different t-stats hooked up. Plus to throw a huge wrench, all of these problems are intermittent. Some time it will cycle fine for 2 days or more, then wont cycle correctly at all. Please help before I take this thing to the scrap yard.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum
I know nothing about stats or your stove
That being said Thermostats are just a switch . The fist part of your post
says to me that the stat is bad . Does not sever the connection.
You second stat sounds like it is working put the fire is not on long
enough or hot enough for the proof of fire switch . Take the stats off
and run on manual for a while and see if every thing works OK.
There will be some one along with more experience with stats than than I have

Reactions: kappel15
A common issue on the CB 1200 is the thermocouple wire not pushed all the way in the ceramic housing which overhangs the fire pot. Make sure it is positioned correctly over the fire pot. Sounds like it goes through the start up but the thermocouple is not sensing the fire. Also make sure there are no breaks in the wire.

Like johneh said, the thermostat sounds like a separate issue.

Thanks for the responses. mralias, the ceramic piece over the thermocouple is seated all the back. I made sure of that while going through everything I could think of.

I guess I will buy a new t-stat. Like I said this oe is not that old. It's a Honeywell RTH6350D made for a heat pump/AC. CoD this be the wrong stat for my stove?

Thanks for the responses. mralias, the ceramic piece over the thermocouple is seated all the back. I made sure of that while going through everything I could think of.

I guess I will buy a new t-stat. Like I said this oe is not that old. It's a Honeywell RTH6350D made for a heat pump/AC. CoD this be the wrong stat for my stove?

I would recommend solving the stove issue staying lit before moving on to the thermostat. If the stove is 5 to 10 years old and you have never replaced the thermocouple, really inspect the wire (near the end at the cover more so than any other) for a break. I had one that did not look broken yet when it started to heat up the wire would have a break in it. Drove me nuts till I found it. I would put a jumper on the thermostat terminals until the stove issue is taken care of.

As far as the honeywell RTH6350D, without seeing what terminals on the stat are wired I could not tell you. The CB1200 only needs a simple mechanical stat to work. (on off switch basically)