CB 1200 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maraian

Nov 28, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Ive been breaking in my new stove and it's great!
Although there are a couple of minor issues I'd like to address:
The pellets don't cascade down the hopper and the stove will shut off after 6 or so hours even though the hopper is almost half full, the pellets don't fall down to the auger pick up. Any way to correct this?

Also, my old stove was bottom feed and when the pellets ran out I could force all the fines into the firepot easily. This stove accumulates a lot of fines mixed in with pellets that don't get picked up by the auger. Do you just vaccum the fines out? How to avoid wasting the pellets that are mixed in?

I've read some "screen" the fines out. Do you use standard window screen or a coarser wire screen like a fine chicken wire type of screen?

Also, is there any way to run just the exhaust fan during cleaning to prevent fine ash from entering the room?

The pellets don't cascade down the hopper and the stove will shut off after 6 or so hours even though the hopper is almost half full, the pellets don't fall down to the auger pick up. Any way to correct this?
Next time its empty try some car wax (wipe on - wipe off) I’ve had good luck doing that once a month

Also, my old stove was bottom feed and when the pellets ran out I could force all the fines into the firepot easily. This stove accumulates a lot of fines mixed in with pellets that don't get picked up by the auger. Do you just vaccum the fines out? How to avoid wasting the pellets that are mixed in?
I vacuum out just the bottom of the hopper . But you could put a piece of screen door screen over the vacuum hose and save the few pellets

Also, is there any way to run just the exhaust fan during cleaning to prevent fine ash from entering the room?
I don’t think you can, combustion fan is run by your control board. Glad your enjoying your new stove.

Reactions: kappel15
Next time its empty try some car wax (wipe on - wipe off) I’ve had good luck doing that once a month

I vacuum out just the bottom of the hopper . But you could put a piece of screen door screen over the vacuum hose and save the few pellets

I don’t think you can, combustion fan is run by your control board. Glad your enjoying your new stove.
Great thanks for the tips!
One other thing, do I need to remove the auger cover to vaccum out fines periodically and if so how often? Also will this cover need to be re sealed with high heat rtv?

I clean out the auger motor area once a year, but i take the stove out in my shop and use the compressor to blow the hard to reach areas. Any other cleanings I just slide my restrictor rod all the way open and vacuum

You can run just the exhaust by turning the thermostat on and off real fast. Then just he exhaust fan will run for 10 mintues or so. And you can use hardware cloth to clean pellets. It is mesh with small square holes, bigger then screen. I use it for corn. You could drape a pc of it over a wheel barrel as I used to do when I first started burning. You can also google pellet cleaning for ideas on building something. I use a cleaner I made out of pvc pipe and a shop vac.You can see the auger in the bottom of the hopper. You vacuum there to clean fines out. You will loose what pellets are in the auger chute, unless you use a clean vac and then you can dig them out if you want. And just remember, I you suck the bottom of the hopper, the auger chute will be empty, so it will take a while when you put more pellets in hopper, to work its way clear up thru auger chute,before they start dropping into pot. May have to hit reset a couple of times and put a handful in pot before firing up. Stay warm. kap