CB1200i Thermocouple Replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mralias

Minister of Fire
Apr 29, 2008
MA
Attached is an image of my t-couple mounted on the burn pot. Please note the lack of braiding around the wire portion of the t-couple, Should I replace t-couple? I have been using it this way but I'm wondering if I am asking for trouble by doing so. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Burn pot T coupler.jpg
    Burn pot T coupler.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 188
How is the unit working?

Eric

Price out the diff between a new thermocouple and a fiberglass sleeve for it.

Price out the diff between a new thermocouple and a fiberglass sleeve for it.

The sleeve looks 100%, why replace it?

The sleeve looks 100%, why replace it?

Looks like bare wire to me, mine looks much more substantial on my classic bay 1200. Hard to tell from the picture though.

I would bet the "bare wire" is used to secure the thermocouple in place. If it is working why mess with it? Depending how old the stove is, judging by the avatar picture it is a few years old. If he just noticed this now he was not cleaning the stove correctly.

Eric

Eric, I think the OP and Moey mean having a fiberglass sleeve over the wires attached to the thermocouple where the arrow is pointing.

I would use it till it breaks if it was mine (But keep a spare one on hand) :)

This is what it's suppose to look like , braided metal, stainless I think.

IMG_1092_1.jpg

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Yes, it is the braid or lack there of on the first 6 inches or so that is the issue . It works fine and has for the last two years or so the best I can tell. I clean this stove twice a week and the braiding around the t-couple has shredded away. Perhaps too much cleaning is the issue. I have a new one on order. Can the braided metal be ordered from somewhere? My concern just recently is that by not having the braiding in place I could be damaging something in the control unit of the stove or causing a false temp reading. Not too sure how the t-couple controls the on off cycles.

Mine has a very short section of braid.

What matters, is the tip. This where the dissimilar metals are tied together.

If the unit has bent bent hard or wires broken or compromised? Then it won't work.

But as Eric says, How is the stove working? If its running, then the T/C is fine. IMO

If it is running fine then leave it alone. The end of the world is in a few days so why worry about the small stuff. Stock pile beer, bullets, and toilet paper.​
Eric​

Status
Not open for further replies.