CB1200i Wall thermostat or skytech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VintageGal

Mar 25, 2022
NorCal
The dealer suggested I buy the skytech remote control thermostat $229. I am technologically challenged and feel that I would be more comfortable with a simple wall thermostat. As an aside, I don't know where in the world I would set the sky tech because it's supposed to be in the line of sight of the stove and it is an open room with no little tables or chairs etc on which to place this remote thermostat.

Made it a substantial deposit on this Quad stove and having pre-installation jitters, worry that I could have made better choices for a prettier stove ... I'm all about saving money right now.

We've had a Skytech for 9 years now. When we first got our stove wife & I were both working and it was the best option for us to set programed times of day for the stove to ramp up & down. Both retired now but use it in thermostat mode most of the time.
It really depends on what you would need one for.

Sam

Reactions: VintageGal
We've had a Skytech for 9 years now. When we first got our stove wife & I were both working and it was the best option for us to set programed times of day for the stove to ramp up & down. Both retired now but use it in thermostat mode most of the time.
It really depends on what you would need one for.

Sam
Like everything else from the dealership, it seems like one more pricey add-on at the moment. I'm home everyday and don't really need one. I think it's probably something I can purchase later after I recover from the sticker shock of my pellet stove estimates

If you are home every day and don't need a programmable thermostat, you can get a nice cheap Lux and run it into any room

I have both my stoves on the DMH110. The batteries last over a year. for my main floor stove I have the thermostat set up in my office since that is where I spend most my day and the room I want to be at a set temp.

The "Save" button is a one-push button for lowering the set point by 5* (I do that when I want to let my mini split take over or the southwest sun is strong and heating up the place). Then another putsh of that button, and the set temp is back where you had it.

If you are home every day and don't need a programmable thermostat, you can get a nice cheap Lux and run it into any room

I have both my stoves on the DMH110. The batteries last over a year. for my main floor stove I have the thermostat set up in my office since that is where I spend most my day and the room I want to be at a set temp.

The "Save" button is a one-push button for lowering the set point by 5* (I do that when I want to let my mini split take over or the southwest sun is strong and heating up the place). Then another putsh of that button, and the set temp is back where you had it.
Thank you. The dealers told me that I didn't want to have wires running along my floor or wall to the thermostat because it would look ugly lol --but I don't have the skills to install wires in the wall. I'm totally new to the idea of a thermostat on a pellet stove because my last one was all manual. I think I will be happy with just upgrading to a thermostat and don't see the need for a remote. Just one more thing to keep track of not losing. Anyhow, I could start with a basic thermostat and get the remote later if I become more educated

for $100+ difference in price, I can put up with a whole lot of ugly ;) . My wires don't run thru walls. The P43 wires run from the stove down thru the floor, along the basement ceiling (which is open), up thru the office floor and up the wall to the thermostat. My desk hides most of that wire anyway.

The basement stove thermostat goes up the wall, along the ceiling, then down the wall to the thermostat. Most of that wire is hidden by some shelving.

for $100+ difference in price, I can put up with a whole lot of ugly ;) . My wires don't run thru walls. The P43 wires run from the stove down thru the floor, along the basement ceiling (which is open), up thru the office floor and up the wall to the thermostat. My desk hides most of that wire anyway.

The basement stove thermostat goes up the wall, along the ceiling, then down the wall to the thermostat. Most of that wire is hidden by some shelving.
I'm buying the cheapest pellet stove the dealers have in stock and I would call it an ugly duckling! They added the $229 for the skytech vs the wall thermostat that comes standard for free. I'll have to straighten that out tomorrow save a couple hundred dollars for the ugly wall thermostat to match the pellet stove 😁

You can also buy some stick on wire molding channels to hide wires along baseboard trim or walls.

What is the model of the Quad you're getting? Does it actually need an external (wired or wireless) thermostat connected?

sam

I placed a deposit on the quad cb1200i. I hope I don't regret this! Anyway, this unit does not require a remote. Thank you I like your idea about hiding the wires and I'm not opposed to seeing them, I'm the only one that lives here.

An easy to use programmable thermostat is nice. It keeps the stove from starting and stopping and starting. If you have carpet you can tuck the wire under the baseboard. Try and put the thermostat as reasonably far from the stove. My parents found that having the thermostat out of line of sight of the stove did a good job of reducing short cycle times. Manual says it comes with a programable thermostat.

Make sure they install a blockoff plate like the manual shows. Manual also wants thermostat on an interior wall. Is that a reasonable option?

My parents no longer use the logs in the their quard. They can go longer between vacuuming the firebox Without them. Do you have pets? If you do you need to vacuum out the blowers at least twice a season. Have installers show you how to do it. Remember pellet vent still needs cleaned like a wood stove. Depends on how much you burn. But once a year is usually fine. Is this something you will do yourself? If so order a flexible pellet vent brush and have installers show you how. Do you have a good dry easy location to store pellets? Give that some thought.

Evan

Thanks Evan! The unit price comes standard with the wall thermostat kit. And the manual says that it can be extended 25 ft.

The dealership is the only one in the county and the sales manager there loves the quad, grew up working on them. He says that for the price point this stove will be the best application for my little home.

I've read the manual and I don't see where it's suggests a block off plate. I can talk to the installer when he comes out here next week to measure the firebox, condition of the old 3-in liner, etc.

I really wanted a outside air kit but the salesman said it isn't necessary. I think they all say that but in the quads case and from what I'm reading, the location of the port hole is under the stove and it's questionable whether it will work for me.

I do have an sizable Ash dump in the rear of the firebox and I wanted to use that for fresh air but yesterday I explored that area and though it is an enclosed space, with a clean out door on the outside of the chimney, it does seem rather wet down there!

I think the aim of the dealership is to make me as dependent upon them as possible because when they were showing me the stove they didn't even show the location of the pellet gate.

I wish I could have just upgraded my Enviro ef2 but it is almost 27 years old or more and I couldn't find anyone to work on it.

I'm going to call the dealership this morning and see if he could get me the Enviro meridian. Those can also be adapted to a well thermostat and I like having a little more control over my lower speed and air intake.

I do have a dog and she gets hair everywhere! ✌️

IMG_20220404_170113227.jpg

It’s possible to run the fresh air intake up the chimney but unless your house is well sealed it might not be need. Going out the back of the chimney is an option. As is down the ash dump and out. But again unless you have really well sealed home probably not necessary.

You can see in the picture that the blockoff plate seals the chimney around the vent pipe and keeps the cold air from coming down the chimney into the house.

My parents have had their quad for over 20 years. Doesn’t see much use since they moved down south but they brought it with them they liked it so much. See about hooking it up to a surge protector. Even the ones that plug into the outlet then you plug into offer some protection. Boards aren’t cheap.

44D7AE5A-7CEE-4D7C-8B16-019ED1C4A872.png

It’s possible to run the fresh air intake up the chimney but unless your house is well sealed it might not be need. Going out the back of the chimney is an option. As is down the ash dump and out. But again unless you have really well sealed home probably not necessary.

You can see in the picture that the blockoff plate seals the chimney around the vent pipe and keeps the cold air from coming down the chimney into the house.

My parents have had their quad for over 20 years. Doesn’t see much use since they moved down south but they brought it with them they liked it so much. See about hooking it up to a surge protector. Even the ones that plug into the outlet then you plug into offer some protection. Boards aren’t cheap.

View attachment 294851
Thank you again! I have a 1000 ft, single story cottage built in 1969. It has single pane windows and 12 in of attic insulation. So I wouldn't consider it a well insulated home.

I argued for a block off plate in the past when I was trying to find a wood stove insert (none of them would clear my lintel), and the dealership said that my chimney was sealed at the top. I have a 15ft. external, masonry chimney.

It's very comforting to know that your parents enjoyed their quadrafire!

The sales manager at the dealership has given me his word and I feel trustworthy towards him which is very rare for me! I'm old enough to be his mother and I believe he wants me to be warm and my old age haha!

I told him that I burn wood during the day but I would like to go to bed at night and not have to wake up every 4 hours to feed the little lopi.

This is the most affordable solution for me and it's still comes with a hefty $5,000 price tag!

There's very few pellet stoves that would fit in my firebox --and considering the problems people are reporting with their P35i, I'm leaning towards learning to live with the cb1200i.

Thanks Evan! The unit price comes standard with the wall thermostat kit. And the manual says that it can be extended 25 ft.

The dealership is the only one in the county and the sales manager there loves the quad, grew up working on them. He says that for the price point this stove will be the best application for my little home.

I've read the manual and I don't see where it's suggests a block off plate. I can talk to the installer when he comes out here next week to measure the firebox, condition of the old 3-in liner, etc.

I really wanted a outside air kit but the salesman said it isn't necessary. I think they all say that but in the quads case and from what I'm reading, the location of the port hole is under the stove and it's questionable whether it will work for me.

I do have an sizable Ash dump in the rear of the firebox and I wanted to use that for fresh air but yesterday I explored that area and though it is an enclosed space, with a clean out door on the outside of the chimney, it does seem rather wet down there!

I think the aim of the dealership is to make me as dependent upon them as possible because when they were showing me the stove they didn't even show the location of the pellet gate.

I wish I could have just upgraded my Enviro ef2 but it is almost 27 years old or more and I couldn't find anyone to work on it.

I'm going to call the dealership this morning and see if he could get me the Enviro meridian. Those can also be adapted to a well thermostat and I like having a little more control over my lower speed and air intake.

I do have a dog and she gets hair everywhere! ✌️

View attachment 294850

I must be looking at the wrong CB manual. The install manual I'm looking at says 100 feet for the wall location - which being wired makes more sense to me. With a house that is 1,000 sq/ft, you certainly don't need 100', but it also gives you options. If you are looking to heat your whole house, I would try to place it in a room about the midpoint of the house, and around a door. Obviously the room that the stove is in will be warmer than the set point, but the rooms furthest away will be cooler. The more stable the room temp, the less cycling the stove will go thru and I believe the happier you will be. In the floor layout attached, the red dot is where I have my thermostat, and it works perfectly for my needs there.

CB 1200 thermostat location from install manual.JPG Main Floor Layout P43 air flow schematic-with stat location.jpg

I must be looking at the wrong CB manual. The install manual I'm looking at says 100 feet for the wall location - which being wired makes more sense to me. With a house that is 1,000 sq/ft, you certainly don't need 100', but it also gives you options. If you are looking to heat your whole house, I would try to place it in a room about the midpoint of the house, and around a door. Obviously the room that the stove is in will be warmer than the set point, but the rooms furthest away will be cooler. The more stable the room temp, the less cycling the stove will go thru and I believe the happier you will be. In the floor layout attached, the red dot is where I have my thermostat, and it works perfectly for my needs there.

View attachment 294875 View attachment 294876
Thank you. I called the dealership today and told him I didn't need the skytek remote and I would be just as happy with the free wall thermostat ... Blah blah blah he went on and on about the benefits (convenience) of the remote transmitter. He told me that I should not place the remote around a wall or the other side of a door. But I thought simple radio frequencies should be able to transmit through a wall? The salesman told me that it would be very very expensive to install the wall thermostat LOL He deals with a lot of wealthy customers who don't want to look at anything that isn't pretty, and I guess he considers exposed wire as unsightly. I am ready to scrap this whole project and find someone who can help me install what I want and where I want it.

This is becoming a soap opera with my dealership and I'm getting ready to bail and just survive with my little wood burner until I can figure it out

Yeah, a remote may not work around a door frame. RF frequencies don't work the way an FM radio does. They are not powerful and are required to not interfere with other household electronics. Does your TV remote work around a door,? It may, or may not, depending on how the beam bounces - and becuase it works once, doesn't mean it will work every time.

Placing a wired wall thermostat is only expensive if you want the wires inside the wall. to just lay them and mount the thermostat with the 2 screws, shouldn't be expensive at all. It is actually fairly easy to do yourself.

Yeah, a remote may not work around a door frame. RF frequencies don't work the way an FM radio does. They are not powerful and are required to not interfere with other household electronics. Does your TV remote work around a door,? It may, or may not, depending on how the beam bounces - and becuase it works once, doesn't mean it will work every time.

Placing a wired wall thermostat is only expensive if you want the wires inside the wall. to just lay them and mount the thermostat with the 2 screws, shouldn't be expensive at all. It is actually fairly easy to do yourself.
Thank you. I'm going to ask again to let me have the wall thermostat that comes FREE standard with the stove. It's a cheap wall unit but I could upgrade myself. 🙏

Quad CB 1200i installation scheduled for the 10th of May. Using the ash dump cavity for the outside air intake. They're going to install a block off plate. And they are going to run the wall thermostat under the crawl space and up into the hallway which is in the middle of the house! Whew! The nights have still been in the chili forties so I may get a chance to use it. I will post pictures when it's all said and done ✌️😁

Reactions: bogieb
Sounds like good solutions!

Glad they are finally working with you instead of trying to sell you something you don't want/need.