Ceiling Fan - Removing the limiter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

timmytooth

May 2, 2020
PA., USA
Hello, My new light bulbs weren't working on my ceiling fan so I did some youtubing and people say that the "limiter" goes bad and if you remove it/bypass it and then your ceiling lights should work. I went to do this temporarily, and order a replacement limiter in the meantime. So I removed the limiter, and the two wires that were connected to it, I connected the two together in a wire nut but the lights didn't come on. So I am guessing these wires need to be connected to something else?

Here is an image of what I am dealing with: **Each black wire was connected to each white wire of the limiter using a wire nut. I was guessing that I can simply connect the two black wires together using a wirenut and that would work?? But I am wrong.
Thank you. Not an electrician, or barely know how to spell it.

Did you check to seeing if you had 120v to the light circuit? Many have a hot for the fan and a different one for the lights. You may just have a bad switch so you need to start there and work your way down.

Edit: To clarify you may have out of the ceiling two different hot lines.

Also, I see there is a plug. Last year I had to fix someone’s lights in their ceiling fan. The plug wasn’t making a good contact. Not sure if yours is the same or not.

snaple4 got it right the plug has to be plugged in to work. i install lots of fans in my lifetime and never seen a limiter in a fan. the separate white and black is your light. put a meter across the black and white to see if you have power if not go from black to the metal frame of the fan if you have power then you have a broken white wire somewhere. if the fan is grounded. what brand fan is it?