Cement Crown Chimney vs Stainless Steel Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TGA

Jun 14, 2023
AlYy6*zwa$
Hi, I have a cement crown on a chimney that needs replaced. A vendor is recommending the stainless steel over the cement crown.

He will install new cement crown with pitch and also add flashing and gaco to small section of roof behind chimney for $1,950
For a stainless steel chase cover, it will be an additional $1,200 for a total cost of $3,150.

Are chase covers worth the extra? See photos below. Any insight much appreciated.

CURRENT CHIMNEY CROWN
Current Cement Crown.jpg

EXAMPLE OF NEW CHIMNEY CROWN

New Cement Crown.jpg

EXAMPLE OF NEW STAINLESS STEEL CROWN
Stainless Steel Chase Cover.jpg

I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but your example of the new chimney crown is not how it should be done. There is no drip edge. If you use the search function here you'll find several examples of people who've DIY'd their crown, it's definitely a project.

If you want to go the stainless route and you're handy/don't mind getting up there, you could order a custom made stainless crown from Rockford chimney supply for less than 1000$ and install it yourself.

Don't pay that much for a wash crown it won't last. A poured crown is the best option. A stainless cover is fine but I don't like the look. But your chimney has many other issues that need addressed stating with being 18" or so to short

I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but your example of the new chimney crown is not how it should be done. There is no drip edge. If you use the search function here you'll find several examples of people who've DIY'd their crown, it's definitely a project.

If you want to go the stainless route and you're handy/don't mind getting up there, you could order a custom made stainless crown from Rockford chimney supply for less than 1000$ and install it yourself.
Thanks!

Don't pay that much for a wash crown it won't last. A poured crown is the best option. A stainless cover is fine but I don't like the look. But your chimney has many other issues that need addressed stating with being 18" or so to short
Thanks @bholler ! I agree, I don't like the look of stainless steel either. Is there any issue using a poured crown with a chimney that size? Btw, is poured chimney crown vs stainless chase cover kinda like the pepsi vs cola war? ie matter of opinion?

Last edited: