Ceramic doors on heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmac0576

Feb 8, 2024
White Hall, Maryland
We bought a home 2 years ago that has a heatilator fireplace. Burning with the doors open, it provides some heat. Maybe a little more than a regular open fireplace. On a few occasions, I have kept a fire going with the doors closed (not safe with tempered glass I know) and it actually pumps out some decent heat through the vents.

We’ve been thinking about a wood stove insert to get more usable heat out of the fireplace. However, I am curious if some airtight ceramic doors on a heatilator would work similarly to a wood stove? They are expensive, but certainly cheaper than a full insert. Doesn’t need to heat the whole house but would be nice to get some halfway efficient heat from the fireplace.

They will help a little but you will then have a creosote issue. And not enough to justify the cost