ceramic spaces...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
found these 2 different type spacers online...

to me the triangle ones would have more surface area and would probably better support a 40-50 lb piece of sheet metal hanging 1" off the wall a little better than the circles ones...

i know this is stupid... but do you think the triangle ones will work better?

maybe it doesn't matter... i just keep thinking that with that heavy of a piece of metal hanging 1" away from the wall it will want to "pull" down

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-5075

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CO-54230

24 gauge sheet metal (steel) weighs about 1 pound per square foot, so even a 4' x 8' sheet would be just 32 pounds. If you're concerned, you can think of some way to place a few 1" tall non-combustible supports of some sort between the floor & the shield to support the weight of the shield, so the wall spacers are just holding it from falling away from the wall. Rick

fossil said:
24 gauge sheet metal (steel) weighs about 1 pound per square foot, so even a 4' x 8' sheet would be just 32 pounds. If you're concerned, you can think of some way to place a few 1" tall non-combustible supports of some sort between the floor & the shield to support the weight of the shield, so the wall spacers are just holding it from falling away from the wall. Rick

hmm i thought the weight would be higher.... i can only get 22gage around here without paying an just as much for shipping as the piece of metal...

i'll think of a way to construct a support (maybe real short pieces of some 1" tube stock) to hold a majority of the weight...

thanks Rick!!

You could cut 1" length pieces of 1/2" copper pipe as a spacer. Or get some ceramic fence post insulators and remove the top nail and ceramic cap, just using the body as a spacer.

i ordered the 30 pack of circular spacers.... i never thought about using something on the bottom to support it... plus, if it's lighter than i thought, 30 spacers should hold a 36x82.5 inch piece of sheet metal

You certainly won't need that many. You don't want to put them directly behind the profile of the stove you're shielding, anyway. Just around the edges enough to hold it in place. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.