Chain and bar recommendation for Stihl 026 super

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niro

Burning Hunk
Jul 13, 2021
Northern Westchester NY
Hello all, I recently came across a used stihl 029 super the bar is old and damaged. My plan is to replace the bar and chain on it. I have a 251c and I mostly cut 3 cords a year and occasionally drop a dead standing or two per year. Not sure what is the best combo of the 029. I would like to put a 20" on it since I have an 18" on my 251c. Just not sure the difference bet 3/8 & .325 are and if one is better over the other.

Would also consider going smaller on the 251 and an 18" on the 029 if it runs better because as of now 18" has been all in needed thus far but pushing the 251 to the limit.

My 029 was old and used with a badly worn bar and chain when I picked it up many years ago. First thing I did was put a new 20" bar x 3/8" chain on it. In hindsight, an 18" probably would have been a better option for me. Granted, I cut at high altitude so neither the saw or the operator can breathe. It does just fine but there's nothing extra to spare if I lean on it a little. You may be fine at your altitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niro
It makes sense to put the bigger bar on the 029, being that its a more powerful saw.

In that size saw .325 vs 3/8 is pretty much a tossup in terms of performance. .325 should cut just a hair quicker (if given enough chain speed), but 3/8 should hold an edge a little longer, handle dirty wood a little better, and there's less cutters to sharpen, plus you get more sharpenings out of a 3/8 cutter before the chain is garbage.

FWIW I run .325 on my 550xp, but it's also got the chain speed to make it work well.

What does it say on the old bar ...I would go with the clutch you already have ..

Personally I’d keep the same bar length, pitch and gauge on both. It’s easier just to keep one chain size.
2” difference just isn’t enough to be really that much more useful to me.

On the other hand I might consider a the smallest/lightest bar I could get away with—14 or 16” for the 251 just to save weight. But really 3 cords a year isn’t a lot of saw time.

Reactions: Highbeam
So how about the 026? :p

Reactions: all night moe
There used to be an 029. It ran a 3/8 pitch. They changed the clutch and bar combo on the new release and it became the Super.
The narrower chain takes less power to run with a thinner kerf. I'd put an 18'' bar onit and leave the 18 on the 251 as well. When your cutting bigger diam wood, switch to the 029.

It makes sense to put the bigger bar on the 029, being that its a more powerful saw.

In that size saw .325 vs 3/8 is pretty much a tossup in terms of performance. .325 should cut just a hair quicker (if given enough chain speed), but 3/8 should hold an edge a little longer, handle dirty wood a little better, and there's less cutters to sharpen, plus you get more sharpenings out of a 3/8 cutter before the chain is garbage.

FWIW I run .325 on my 550xp, but it's also got the chain speed to make it work well.
Does 3/8 require a different file size for sharpening? If so your probably right it would make life easier if I can keep them the same.

When you get the bar and Chain ... get the 2in1 for that size.. You will thank us later ..

Reactions: PaulOinMA and Niro
Can you post a pic of the bar and a couple shots of the chain.. Please

Can you post a pic of the bar and a couple shots of the chain.. Please
So after closer inspection it looks like someone placed the wrong chain on it and the sprocket and bar is damaged as a result. Can I get away with replacing just the sprocket or does the clutch need to be changed as well? Also can you tell what size is on there now?

20211207_182731.jpg 20211207_182902.jpg 20211207_182628.jpg 20211207_182650.jpg

Reactions: Niro
Looking at your photos, I don't see anything too terribly shocking. I certainly can't tell by looking that damage has occurred. The sprocket is definitely worn but not anything too terrible. You" probably" don't need a clutch. Get your self a new sprocket, grease (or just replace and grease) the sprocket needle bearing, the bar length of your choice, and a new chain to match and you'll be ok.
Simple Green the heck out of that thing and hit it with the hose to get everything nice and clean. (Fire it up and run it right away in case you get any water in the exhaust.)

Speaking for my situation only (which my 029 looked much like yours when I acquired it) I went with 3/8" pitch, .050 gauge, 20" bar. Chain has 72 drive links. Sprocket has 7 drive teeth. This seems to be a fairly popular combo.
When you clean that thing up and if your sprocket is a genuine Stihl, it will be stamped plain as day right on it if it's a 3/8" or .325.

I was up on the mountain cutting with mine again today. (Still no snow at 10,000 feet)Logs similar to those on my avatar. I've been having a little trouble lately keeping it idling properly and then today after one tank of fuel and refueling, I noticed a significant leak. Stopped at my dealer on the way home and ordered a new fuel line and filter. I finished up with my MS250 just fine but the 029 definitely has that little bit of extra poop when it's running right.
Good luck.

Don't forget the Seafoam ...

I had a 20" 3/8" on my 026. Loved it. The only issue I ever ran into was cutting where the whole bar was needed. You cant bear down on it. Listen to your rpms and let the saw work. The long bar is saved a lot of back strain limbing.