Chain Brake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have Polan Wild Thing. I know you guys don't think much of these saws, but I bought it from a pawn shop for $40.00 several years ago and have used it alot with out any problems. It's been a good little saw. I was using it last night and I noticed that the chain kept spining for a few seconds, like 5 or 10 seconds, after I let go of the gas. Certainly longer than it used to or should. How should I go about seeing what is wrong with it? I'm pretty handy with small engines and I don't think it would be a problem to fix. I am asking for suggestions because I haven't done anything to this saw in over two years except to put gas and oil in it.

Thanks,

Karl

Do what BB says in the next post down.

Hmm. Well it doesn't have a handle on it that engages the chain brake. Also, I don't think the chain is loose. I just sharpened it that day, and I check the tightness when I do that. I'll double check it tonight. It could be the carb, but I was working fine all day and just all of a sudden started doing it.

If a tight chain keeps spinning then the idle is too high on the engine. The chain stops spinning when the RPMs drop below the engagement speed of the centrifugal clutch that the chain sprocket is made onto. On your Poulan there should be three screws on the left side above the primer bulb. One marked H, one marked L and one above them marked T. T is the idle screw. Get the saw warmed up and then turn the T screw to the left just slightly until the chain stops spinning.

Edit: Before you adjust the idle, clean the air filter and see if that fixes it. If the air filter is dirty the engine will run rich.

Was your oil resovoir empty? I've noticed on mine when it gets empty this happens to my chain. I found that I have to fill my oil resovoir all the way, but not the fuel tank. I leave the fuel tank down a bit. This way I run out of gas before the oil resovoir runs dry.

Most saws allow you to adjust the oil consumption rate, Luke. You should turn yours down so that you run out of gas before you run out of oil.

Most chains get hot and seize up when the oil stops flowing. Are you saying that yours becomes loose?

Eric,

When I know there is oil in the resovoir, I'm guessing the 'stickyness' of the oil stops the chain from rotating a whole bunch when letting off the throttle. After cutting for a while I can tell when the resovoir is empty as the chain will keep rotating for a couple seconds after letting off the throttle. The chain is not necessarily loose, but chain and bar appear a little 'dry' if you will. I've never messed with the oil rate, it's at its factory setting. Its a Poulan. I'm pretty happy with so far. Sure beats my Mcculloch that is about a 25 year old hand me down.

I would try to figure out how to turn it down a little. It's not good to run out of oil, since the chain, bar, sprocket and oil pump all depend on it. You might check the oil filter (attached to the end of a tube in the tank) to make sure that it's not plugged up or otherwise compromised.

Are idle RPMs too high? If yes, it is caused by the saw being LEAN and not RICH, as incorrectly suggested above; cleaning the air filter will serve to raise, not decrease, RPM. So you'll either need to adjust the carb (idle screw and low-speed jet) or you have an air leak somewhere - crank seals, intake boot, cracked fuel line, etc. - that is letting air in and creating a lean condition. If it is the latter, you will want to get on it ASAP or else you will burn your saw up.

If RPMs are OK, then you probably need to replace your clutch springs.

Wait a sec!!

Is computeruser contradicting what BB and Eric are saying? How can that be? 2 solutions to one problem that contradict eachother?

Please, someone with even more knowledge that those three, give the final word and tell us what is the solution here. We can't allow opposite solutions to confuse the lesser chainsaw users!!!

Carpniels

It's confusing because we're talking about two entirely separate things: carb adjustment and chain oiler adjustment.

I read back through the thread and couldn't find anyone saying that a clogged air filter will cause the saw to run lean. I always respect computeruser's (superior to mine) knowledge and advice, but this time I think he didn't read the thread closely enough. I think BB gave the best advice, although CU makes a valid point about an air leak.

Actually, I found the problem. I had some really large logs that I had to score before the splitter would split them. Some of the really long spaghetti like pieces of wood got into the clutch mechanism and kept it partly engaged. I cleaned them out and its back to normal. It's once again a really good $40.00 saw.

Thanks for the help,

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.