Chain break

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junksta

Oct 13, 2006
Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
Was wondering if anyone has had a chain break and what the outcome was. Curious if the chainbrake on todays saws save your hyde or just limit the damage. (Do I really want an answer to this?)

junksta said:
Was wondering if anyone has had a chain break and what the outcome was. Curious if the chainbrake on todays saws save your hyde or just limit the damage. (Do I really want an answer to this?)
No i havent had a broken chain ..........Most/all new saws have a chain break to stop the chain in case of kick back of the saw and you are to lock your chain break in when moving around when the saw is running but your are not cutting. Most /all new saw have a chain guard in the event you throw a chain from your bar. The most common reason for throwing a chain is stumping a log ( cutting ground level of a tree stump ) Also if you dont keep you chain on your chainsaw at the proper tension you can throw a chain off the bar and cutting saplings of a small diameter can also throw a chain.

Reactions: Batman
Never had a chain break. Ditto what is said above.

Chain brakes make a difference. Probably the specific product feature that has reduced chainsaw injuries the most..

Had the old Husky throw the chain off once...it was rather uneventful...just a quick"pop", the engine reved up and the chain coiled up under the saw. Still a bit baffled as to how it got off the track. Generally every 1-2 tanks of gas I give the chain a quick touchup with the file, adjust tension, etc. Never actually broken a chain, though.

Also had the chain brake trip once. I was limbing a fallen tree, although I didn't see it, I guess I bumped the handle on a limb and set the brake. Next thing I know the chain is locked and won't move. After a few minutes of bewilderment and some disassembly I got to the root of the problem. I initially thought some small bit of wood had wedged in the saw.

Corey

I had one break on a smaller 14 inch homelite. Pretty much like cozy described, a pop an increase in revs and nothing else. Swapped out chains and good to go. KD

Funny you should ask. A few weeks ago I was cutting a small tree (sapling) and the chain came off the bar/guide. It swung around and struck my left thigh. The chain "catcher" stopped the rotation of the chain, activated the chain/clutch brake and kept it from doing alot of damage to my body. (This is where I will put in a plug for chaps!)
I was so surprised that the chain came off. I didn't think it was loose, but it appearently was. It was freightening.
The replacement part was $7.00. Money well spent.

In my experience, on the rare occasions when chains break, they drop to the ground once the tension is released. That's not to say they won't find a way to bite you, but I've never had that happen.

You should not use any saw without an inertial chain brake. I believe most (if not all) new saws have intertial brakes, but there are plenty of old saws out there that have nothing in the way of a brake, and you should definitely steer clear of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.