Chainsaw Safety Brakes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Could someone explain how the safety brakes on chainsaws work? I'm talking about the "lever" above the top handle. My electric chainsaw does not have one of these -- why are they less common on electrics?

Thanks,

The lever parallel to the handle is kind of old technology, but it's a second line of defense after the inertial chain brake, which is built inside the saw and activated when there's a sharp jolt to the bar (aka "kickback"). What's supposed to happen with the lever is that when the saw kicks back, it forces your hand into the lever, which trips the chain brake and (theoretically) stops the chain from rotating. I guess if the inertial chain brake failed, the lever might save you. It is mostly useful as a shield to keep your hand from being snapped by branches. Man, that hurts.

Your electric saw should have an inertial chain brake. If not, then please consider getting a safer saw.

Eric 'summed it up best'

Electric chainsaws are "geared towards homeowners" and as such are often "less powerfull" than their gas parents...but are still dangerous in the wrong hands. Some electrics have the handle...but are not actually functional.

Most people "feel safer" using an electric chainsaw...they think they are less dangerous.
Personally I would rather have a good "gas saw" with a sharp chain and enough power to 'get the job done...(if I were strictly a homeowner).

If you are thinking of "moving up" to a "gas job" I would recomend talking to a Stihl dealer and Inquire about the "Quick Stop" line...Stihl deserves some credit trying to develeop this concept... while I don't think they are actively producing them anymore...they can be found.
Something to keep in mind anyway...

Thanks, good info. My $4 garage sale Remington has shown me how useful having a chainsaw can be, but it's time to upgrade to the safest available.

Looks like this thread is covered. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.