Chainsawing with snowshoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I was out the last few days dropping some firewood before the sap starts running, There is about 20 to 30 inches of snow on the ground and no crust to speak of. (the crust normally forms by now but it usually coincides with sap season so I like to get the trees dropped a bit earlier. ). Without snowshoes its not going to happen and even with my larger snowshoes, I still sink in a foot. Add in a steep slope in spots and just moving around with all the gear on is slow. I usually pack down around the tree well before I make the cut. I wander around my woodlot and drop the trees that need to be dropped to improve the stand around a possible home site. Its predominantly maple so I target beeches, and trees with obvious defects like rot or twin trees where one is obviously weaker and rubbing against the better tree. I also had some large poplar (aspen) trees that were dominating the overstory with a lot of nice smaller maples underneath getting shaded. One of them was about 24 inches at the base with another one about 20", They both have some real nice straight sections and they will get dragged down for sawing on a friends sawmill. The tops will get left in the woods as I do not normally waste my time with poplar firewood since I have better options.

The definite issue with large snowshoes is that they are mostly straight line travel. Not really suited well for a quick getaway from a cut. If its a tricky cut I leave it, I had a few leaner's today. They are cut and the wind will probably take them down before spring. I will bring some rigging to deal with them later if they do not come down.

It was bit cooler then I liked today so I mostly dropped trees. When I have a chance I will go back and slice the trees into rounds on top of the snow with a smaller pair of snowshoes. Cutting on snow keeps the blade up out the dirt and the snow tends to support the logs so they do not pinch. A lot of the bigger ones have rotten cores and usually carpenter ants so its usually best to let them layout in the cold cut up into rounds and they usually vacate the wood (sometimes not).

So am I the only person who chain saws with snowshoes?

Reactions: stoveliker
Peak, I to have more than 2 ft of powder on the ground. No thought of going out back to thin the trees. But I did decided to take the ash can to my dump site out in the woods. No snow shoes, just some boots. About half way there I was saying this is crazy. I should have turned around, but pushed on. By the time I got back to the house I was breathing real hard.

Yea we are in this 20"-30" range on the ground as well. Have been out on the sonowshoes . Actually yesterday I thought about grabbing a few dead ash while on the shoes. Thought better, too much undergrowth sticking up if I needed to get away quickly.

My default winter workout is breaking a trail through my woodlot and connecting up with local trail to a viewpoint. Its a little over a mile and around 850 foot gain in elevation. If I need to break it out from scratch its a major workout. It usually drifts in between the times I use it but as long as I can find the old track it isnt that bad. Step off the side especially at the higher elevation and its 3' deep. When sawing I am not following the same route so its breaking a new route everywhere I go. Luckily these are hardwoods without much underbrush but when I find a fir tree covered with snow I know it quickly. Hikers call them spruce traps traps and they can be dangerous in the dense spruce/fir near treeline. Thy can be 6 to 8 feet deep and the branches deflect down but when you go to get out the branches catch on everything.

I can't imagine running a saw while wearing snowshoes but that's me.
I can see walking around and marking trees for take down later.