Changing igniters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I just gave my stove a good cleaning and I'm about to change the thermo coupler. Is there any advantage to changing the igniter or do you just wait till the old one quits. It seems to be working good. I don't know how old it is.

Its, "thermocouple", one word, no r.

There is no reason to change the igniter unless it is having a hard time igniting the fire. Usually though this is maintenance issue. I would just hang on to it until the old one dies.

You must have gotten your parts in the mail...

My igniter, I presume, just went. I posted elsewhere in the forum, but the long-story-short of it is my Country Stoves Winslow PI-40 was overflowing with pellets and not igniting. The igniter fuse was initially blown and a replacement blew as well with the same result of overflowing pellets in the burn pot. Someone suggested a shorted igniter... does this seem right to you?

If the igniter fuse is blowing that would indicate a problem with the igniter

Thanks for the advice; that did the trick. The fuse was blowing, indeed, due to a short in the igniter. I replaced the igniter last night (my first time doing so) and had lousy results initially. What I found, and what should have seemed obvious, was that the igniter has to be flush in contact with the burn pot. It's true, conductive heat which lights the fire along with draft. I had set the igniter just a little too far away from the burn pot and was getting a dull glow, but no fire. As soon as I untightened the hose clamp and readjusted the igniter distance to meet the pot, I was in business. Anyway, thanks for the reponse and help. Forums are a great thing with a wealth of knowledge and expertise.

WINSLOW PI-40 made by Country Stoves (Lennox)

Need info on how to remove igniter on my whitfield pellet stove model P30F. I loosened it but it won't come out.It almost feels like it has a hook on the other end that won't let it slide out.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.